Chimney Thimble Clerance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fluke216

Dec 11, 2020
pa
This question is about the thimble clearance to combustibles. I Put a 6 inch insulated ss chimney liner in that stubs out through existing terracotta spout. The stud on the left is closer then 12 inches I was thinking of doing something with steel stud there then putting brick around like it showed in the manual. For an jotul oslo v3 f500. In that manual it says contact your dealer or local inspector for other methods. I didn't know if anyone had some info on this subject or if there was some kind of insulated thimble that would work better for this application. I attached the manual that information is one page 6. Also an opinions on if outside air vent should be installed. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Chimney Thimble Clerance Chimney Thimble Clerance Chimney Thimble Clerance Chimney Thimble Clerance

Attachments

• 139946_R11, MANUAL, F 500 V3_US.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 196
12" of solid masonry

Right the problem is there’s a duct right there. I could run brick right up to it on the left side take that stud out box that area out and run brick up between the gap then bits it’s only 11 inches then from the duct to edge of the Terra-cotta around the ss stub.

It still wouldn’t give the 12 inches it’s then a 14 inch metal duct. So yea Any other thoughts Thanks guys

Is there a thimble with a flange I could score the terra cotta and snap flush with the masonry wall then install a flanged insulated thimble over and flush to the masonry.

It still wouldn’t give the 12 inches it’s then a 14 inch metal duct. So yea Any other thoughts Thanks guys
If it is a metal duct it is non-combustible so not an issue

Is there a thimble with a flange I could score the terra cotta and snap flush with the masonry wall then install a flanged insulated thimble over and flush to the masonry.
Yes you can absolutely use an insulated thimble. But they are not cheap.

Yes I would be good with it if the masonry wall extended farther which was my first though but there’s actually some other wood behind that stud up against the duct there a small bathroom that backs up to that area. Yea I seen there salty in price but I didn’t want to do something that wasn’t right. Anyone got a link to a flange style that would work for this application something that attaches to the face of the block or do they all protrude into the chimney. Thanks for your responses greatly appreciated.

If it is a metal duct it is non-combustible so not an issue
Looks like there is only 8" clearance below the snout too.

Attachments

• Chimney Thimble Clerance
    4C800284-082E-4558-9BA5-005D55553F0F.png
    301.4 KB · Views: 85
I assume i choose the option for rigid pipe connection not the tee connection since I already have that there? There’s two options I wasn’t really clear on which one.

I assume i choose the option for rigid pipe connection not the tee connection since I already have that there? There’s two options I wasn’t really clear on which one.
Yeah that would probably be best

Any recommendations on high temp possibly low voc silicone to put behind flange when attaching to masonry. Thanks

Any recommendations on high temp possibly low voc silicone to put behind flange when attaching to masonry. Thanks
I usually use furnace cement