Chimney/stove cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biggins08

Hearth Supporter
Sep 20, 2006
Springfield MA
Hi everybody. I finaly managed to get onto my roof today and sweep my 26 foot ss liner, 6inch, with a poly brush. The top of the liner had a considerable amount of crusty creo whick disintigrated as soon as I touched it. Swept the liner with ease and the thing was nice and shiny as far as I could see. Took the time to re-seal the top plate to the clay liner and re attach the rain cap with some fresh sheet metal screws. Problem is this- I forgot to open the damper of my Harman Exception insert before the sweep. Big dummy! I got back into the house and opened the damper about half way so I could feel around for the soot. I manged to get a vac hose in between the damper plate and the afterburner area and suck up a considerable about of the soot. Do I need to pull the stove out and try and remove more? Is this a hazard if all the of the soot is not removed? Thanks for your help guys.

Actually I have been trying to find the diagram of how the Afterburner chamber was set up that I saw a few weeks ago. Looking to see what the chances were of the crusty stuff that fell down plugging the outlet port of the Afterburner. Can't find the darn thing.

Noboby loves me everybody hate me Just singing the blues

Well I did not post a reply because I don't think you have a concern Fire the stove up burn hot the first 30 minutes and if nothing happens
Continue your regular stove routine. The danger if there was any passed

elkimmeg said:
Noboby loves me everybody hate me Just singing the blues

Well I did not post a reply because I don't think you have a concern Fire the stove up burn hot the first 30 minutes and if nothing happens
Continue your regular stove routine. The danger if there was any passed

Thanks Elk...I new you would come through! I actually blazed ahot fire after the cleaning yesterday and all seemed fine. I was a little paranoid though so I disconected the pipe and vacumed out the area again from the top exhaust hole. Thanks for the reply! Oooooooo Bo diddley Ooooo Bo diddley bomp!

BrotherBart said:
Actually I have been trying to find the diagram of how the Afterburner chamber was set up that I saw a few weeks ago. Looking to see what the chances were of the crusty stuff that fell down plugging the outlet port of the Afterburner. Can't find the darn thing.
Bothers gotta hug! Brother, I looked at the manuel as well could not find it. I was more concerned with the creo catching fire back there and causing internal damage...Think it's all set now, TY.

Status
Not open for further replies.