Chimney smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
Just installed a regency f2400 and I noticed during a reload I get smoke out the chimney longer then I would expect. Inside the stove things look great. Stove top is 400-500 and secondaries going as I cut the air back in stages till it’s dialed in. I noticed though I get smoke out the chimney for quite a while. Almost seems like 30-40 mins. I was outback splitting wood and looked and maybe after 45 mins it was clear and no smoke. Again things look good inside but didn’t think the smoke would stay around that long. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

My Oslo non cat does that as well. I've never paid much attention to how you can make it smoke. Surely it's startup and reloading. Can you minimize it, maybe others know how. The wood burn in the stove is a cycle. All parts of the cycle have different heat and chimney exhaust. But when mines is running hot you don't see anything coming out of the chimney.

Just installed a regency f2400 and I noticed during a reload I get smoke out the chimney longer then I would expect. Inside the stove things look great. Stove top is 400-500 and secondaries going as I cut the air back in stages till it’s dialed in. I noticed though I get smoke out the chimney for quite a while. Almost seems like 30-40 mins. I was outback splitting wood and looked and maybe after 45 mins it was clear and no smoke. Again things look good inside but didn’t think the smoke would stay around that long. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!
Maybe you could time it next couple of times you reload, so that you have more exact info to see if what you have is normal.

Ok so I’m off today and really watched what was going on. Full load at 800am full air for 20 mins pretty robust fire and good secondaries. Chimney smoking as that is burning but lessens once the secondaries start going. Cut the air back a 1/4 at a time while trying to maintain secondaries. Every time I cut the air back the chimney starts to smoke again then dies back as secondaries get moving more. About 45 mins later air is shut off really good secondaries. Now this whole process took about 45 mins. But that whole time there was active smoke. Just seems like longer then it should be. Honestly I’m not worried about my neighbors or the smell. I’m more worried about the chimney and creosote. But maybe this is normal. Thoughts?

Reactions: MR. GLO
Wood prob isn't dry enough, break down: 24% moisture content is burnable, but takes a little longer to get maximum temp, 20% is on par for a lot of stoves but still can be better 16-18% moisture content is the best, maximum heat output in little time.

EPA stoves were designed and tested using kiln dried softwoods. If you use anything else you will get a bit of smoke here and there.

You may temporarily get a bit of smoke on a fresh load, even with kiln-dried softwood if the volume of smoke exceeds the capacity of the secondary burn system, cat or non-cat to burn up the smoke. However, it should clear up in a few minutes.

FWIW, even clean pellet stoves blow out soot and smoke when starting up.

Last edited:
EPA stoves were designed and tested using kiln dried softwoods. If you use anything else you will get a bit of smoke here and there.
Not true at all. They were designed for dry chord wood. And most are tested that way as well in house. The new testing procedures even include a cord wood test. But even with crib wood you will have smoke at startup or reload

When I reload I throw a couple pieces of kindling on first and last (bottom and top). It seems to get the secondary combustion happing faster. Might be worth a shot if it bother you.

Reactions: begreen
Maybe try a top down start next time the stove is cold. Check and time the smoke output vs a reload on hot coals. I think what begreen said rings pretty true on the capacity of the secondary air system too, and mc of firewood also.

Yea starting to think the wood I bought wasn’t as seasoned as they said. I have some ash on my racks that was CSS a month ago and hardly any smoke with that.

Chimney smoking as that is burning but lessens once the secondaries start going. Cut the air back a 1/4 at a time while trying to maintain secondaries. Every time I cut the air back the chimney starts to smoke again then dies back as secondaries get moving more. About 45 mins later air is shut off really good secondaries. Now this whole process took about 45 mins. But that whole time there was active smoke. Just seems like longer then it should be. Honestly I’m not worried about my neighbors or the smell. I’m more worried about the chimney and creosote. But maybe this is normal. Thoughts?
Wood prob isn't dry enough, break down: 24% moisture content is burnable, but takes a little longer to get maximum temp, 20% is on par for a lot of stoves but still can be better 16-18% moisture content is the best, maximum heat output in little time.
That's my guess as well..wood could be drier. If you use a moisture meter to test several splits, re-split when they are at room temp for a day or so, and tested on the fresh face, then you will know for sure. You might try cutting the air less than 1/4 each time; Keep that secondary firing.
Maybe try a top down start next time the stove is cold. Check and time the smoke output vs a reload on hot coals.
That would be an interesting experiment. Use your driest small splits on top to start. Maybe they will keep the secondary going better early, giving the larger splits below time to dry out a little more. Vs. loading on hot coals and burning the load in well to start. But I imagine that there's really no way around wet wood, and you'll have to accept a slightly dirtier burn until you can get it under 20%. Check your flue every couple weeks until you get a handle on how often you need to sweep.

Not true at all. They were designed for dry chord wood. And most are tested that way as well in house. The new testing procedures even include a cord wood test. But even with crib wood you will have smoke at startup or reload

What year cert. does his stove have again?

What year cert. does his stove have again?
It doesn't matter. They are not designed to be used with only crib wood. That simply is not true.

It doesn't matter. They are not designed to be used with only crib wood. That simply is not true.
But that is how they are tested. That is what you disputed.

Tested for the purposes of EPA emissions testing yes. Tested in-house for proper function absolutely not. In-house they test with both because they need to pass the EPA test so they use crib wood for that purpose. But they also do extensive testing with cord wood as well.

Run properly with good fuel modern stoves should not produce smoke after getting up to temp plain and simple.

I am curious how many manufacturers testing facilities you have been to to form your opinions. How many of their engineers have you talked to?

The reason you have to CSS hardwoods three years out to perform satisfactorily compared to the designed target performance for EPA cert. Yes, they will burn wood further from the crib standard. And smoke a little as said.

What did I say wrong this time?

The reason you have to CSS hardwoods three years out to perform satisfactorily compared to the designed target performance for EPA cert. Yes, they will burn wood further from the crib standard. And smoke a little as said.

What did I say wrong this time?
Well for starters you don't need to burn stuff that is cut split stacked for 3 years I don't. You need to burn wood that is under 20% the same as you should with any stove. That is not at all crib wood. Yes if you burn wet wood they will smoke allot more because you aren't using it properly.

None of that means modern stoves are designed for use with crib wood. Just that they were designed knowing one of the parameters was that they had to pass a certain test using crib wood. But contrary to what you implied that is far from the only design parameter.

Listen, it's ok to have smoke coming from your chiminy. On start up or a reload it will happen. When it's at normal operating temperatures it will not smoke. The EPA is just another tentical of the beast.

Listen, it's ok to have smoke coming from your chiminy. On start up or a reload it will happen. When it's at normal operating temperatures it will not smoke. The EPA is just another tentical of the beast.
That may be true but their regulations gave us far better stoves than we would have had without them.

Are you saying that secondary burn tubes, baffles etc wouldnt have come to market without the EPA?

Are you saying that secondary burn tubes, baffles etc wouldnt have come to market without the EPA?
I am sure there would be a few clean burn stoves available. There were a few being developed in the 70s. But the majority of the market would still be basic steel boxes that are cheap and easy to make. And I am positive things would not be anywhere near where we are now or even 10 years ago.