Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 23, 2015
LI, NY
hi all,
I am planning my cabin build which will have a wood stove. I am placing the stove near the outside wall on the long side of a 14x36 cabin with a 12/12 metal roof. I will be using metabestos pipe through the roof. My figuring came up with 10’ of pipe sticking out of the roof to be up to “code”. This seems like an awful lot of pipe that will need to be braced. Do you think the 2’ 10’ rule is necessary here. This is an off grid cabin that does not need to meet building code. That being said I want it to be safe and function properly.
Thanks

Yes, the 10-3-2 rule is necessary. Consider all options to see if a more central location is possible. It's so much easier when on paper.

Reactions: Ludlow
Yea, why not plan the stove in the center of the cabin? It will hit better near the peak of the roof and all of the chimney will be interior which not only looks better outside, but will draft better not to mention heat the cabin more evenly. Instead of having to crank the stove to get the far reaches of the cabin warm enough the heat would have less distance to travel. I am no expert but you would probably use less wood in a central configuration.

Yea, why not plan the stove in the center of the cabin? It will hit better near the peak of the roof and all of the chimney will be interior which not only looks better outside, but will draft better not to mention heat the cabin more evenly. Instead of having to crank the stove to get the far reaches of the cabin warm enough the heat would have less distance to travel. I am no expert but you would probably use less wood in a central configuration.
THIS. No question about it.

The stove will be the center of activity when it's cold outside. Think of it as a hub. Besides doing a better job of heating the place, a nice fireview will be better than tv.

The only reason for the stove location was to maximize interior space

Does the budget permit the cost of a third gable on the long wall? It wouldnt need to be the whole length but in the center of the wall so the pipe is interior? Such as this but flush and closer to the ridge of the main roof?
Chimney question

hi all,
I am planning my cabin build which will have a wood stove. I am placing the stove near the outside wall on the long side of a 14x36 cabin with a 12/12 metal roof. I will be using metabestos pipe through the roof. My figuring came up with 10’ of pipe sticking out of the roof to be up to “code”. This seems like an awful lot of pipe that will need to be braced. Do you think the 2’ 10’ rule is necessary here. This is an off grid cabin that does not need to meet building code. That being said I want it to be safe and function properly.
Thanks
I am not sure why you think your cabin doesnt need to meet code but you are mistaken.

Regardless the 3 2 10 rule is code for the same reason most things are. That is what is required to make things safely work

Reactions: Ludlow
The 3-2-10 rule is something I would make right regardless of a code or inspection. It has to do with draft and fire safety as said.

This was the information I was looking for. I am not here to debate the building code. I am only concerned with safety and function.

I just rephrased what bholler said. Sometimes saying things twice is good ya know.

Reactions: bholler
Code and safety aside will it be insured?

that's pretty cool. Being in NY I would think it would be a regulation nightmare for you. Turns your $10K cabin into $100K before you know it with all that crap the bureaucracy can throw at you. Post some pics as you get things built.
No it wouldnt if you are concerned with safety you are pretty much going to be building to code anyway. And permits dont cost that much

Being in NY I would think it would be a regulation nightmare for you

its been my experience that most code enforcement officers either don't know or don't care enough to enforce clearance rules. I know in my own install and in a few others that i helped with for friends they didn't even check to measure clearances that are listed right on the stove. I think a lot of this stems from them not being held accountable if they pass something even if it doesn't meet code.

Reactions: bholler
The way I understand it is if there is no septic or electrical at least in this town they don’t really care what I do, they consider it a camp. Right or wrong I would build the thing without a permit anyway, I just don’t want it to burn down so I plan to follow rules to make sure of that. This is the view from the site
Chimney question

Back to the chimney location. If I leave the stove where I originally wanted it could I move the roof penetration higher and pipe to it following the angle of the roof? Or would the two 45s cause a problem?

Back to the chimney location. If I leave the stove where I originally wanted it could I move the roof penetration higher and pipe to it following the angle of the roof? Or would the two 45s cause a problem?

Frame a chase for it then.
Chimney question

Last edited by a moderator:
That might work as long as clearances for the stove pipe are honored. In that case I would use double-wall stove pipe to keep the flue gases hotter over the run of the pipe.

Nice view, Catskills? Poconos?