Chimney Pipe Out and to the Side of the House?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BussinNoCapFr

Nov 21, 2022
NorthEast
Hi,
What prevents you from going out the wall of a basement and out to the side of the house as opposed to up and through the roof?
Is it literally the '2 feet higher than the highest point of the roof' requirement?
What if you had like 20 feet of clearance between the pipe and the house- is it just a draft concern?

Chimney Pipe Out and to the Side of the House?

Hi,
What prevents you from going out the wall of a basement and out to the side of the house as opposed to up and through the roof?
Is it literally the '2 feet higher than the highest point of the roof' requirement?
What if you had like 20 feet of clearance between the pipe and the house- is it just a draft concern?

View attachment 306747
Draft, support, maintenance, aesthetics, smoke getting in the home etc etc etc.

If you use double walled insulatated stainles you can do it. Here is my set up. Goes out basement wall here, convert from regular stove pipe to double wall insulated stainless. Then using a "T" agsin Double wall stainless, go up . Need to have a place for a clean out, hence the T .

Chimney Pipe Out and to the Side of the House?Chimney Pipe Out and to the Side of the House?Chimney Pipe Out and to the Side of the House?

Also every chimney manufacturer has a maximum allowable diagonal run and that would be way past that.

I really don't understand what would be gained by doing this regardless. It isn't going to cost less look better or function better

Also every chimney manufacturer has a maximum allowable diagonal run and that would be way past that.

I really don't understand what would be gained by doing this regardless. It isn't going to cost less look better or function better
It's just a hypothetical- it would be ideal in cases where you want a basement stove without going the full height of the building, but it's clear you can't do that.

Where/what are you talking about ? The horizontal into the 90 is on the wrong side but going down the 90 is inside the pipe out of the stove.
The black single wall pipe, male end gets pointed towards the stove, this allows and liquid creosote and finer flakes to fall back into the stove rather then leak out of the pipe.

The black single wall pipe, male end gets pointed towards the stove, this allows and liquid creosote and finer flakes to fall back into the stove rather then leak out of the pipe.
Ya I know that but I had to cut this per SBI's recommendation and it's all I had to work with at this time It will get me through the winter. No creosote drippage yet.

Where/what are you talking about ? The horizontal into the 90 is on the wrong side but going down the 90 is inside the pipe out of the stove.
The galvanized corrugated looking pieces around the black pipe.
Pretty sure that’s Heat fab pipe, not SBI. I really like SBI single wall. We rarely ever install single wall anymore. Probably 1 in 20 installs these days.

The galvanized corrugated looking pieces around the black pipe.
Pretty sure that’s Heat fab pipe, not SBI. I really like SBI single wall. We rarely ever install single wall anymore. Probably 1 in 20 installs these days.
Oh, those things. They just wrap arounf the stove pipe and clip together. They are just a heat sink/cooling fins. It's single wall welded stove pipe. Heavy gauge. Not sure what guage any more now.