chimney lining install issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mlasko

Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
Putting in a Jotul F3 in the hunting camp. I'll be using an insulated liner. The issue is that the damper opening is slightly smaller than the OD of the lining. The secondary issue is that the current chimney cap is so heavy that it cannot be removed. The stove I believe calls for a 6 inch stove pipe. I could cut a larger hole in the bottom and pull the liner up, but we are talking some heavy metal inside the damper. Can you go with a 5 inch to make it squeeze through? Other ideas? Additionally, I'm looking at ways to level the stove that might look more aesthetic. I knew this would be the place to get the answers!

chimney lining install issues chimney lining install issues chimney lining install issues

Last edited by a moderator:
The stove should have a 6" liner. It looks like the damper will need to be cut or removed to clear the insulated liner.

How do you suppose the chimney cap got up there? I would be looking to strap some 2x4 under the cap stone and lift it off from both sides with 2 people after chiseling out the mortar. How is the roof, relatively steep or flat?

Yeah cut out the damper area. And if you really can't get that stone and steel plate off yes you could pull it up. But it really doesn't look that bad