Chimney fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Will1019

Nov 25, 2018
Worchester
Just took out the DutchWest stove and hooked up a new blaze King. Not sure what I did wrong but I had sparks coming out of the chimney and the pipe was glowing red hot. Z flex chimney pipe any help would be greatly appreciated Picture of liner attached to blaze King.

Attachments

• Chimney fire
    D5F71D3B-FD65-4119-B9BD-52845964873C.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 343
Just took out the DutchWest stove and hooked up a new blaze King. Not sure what I did wrong but I had sparks coming out of the chimney and the pipe was glowing red hot. Z flex chimney pipe any help would be greatly appreciated Picture of liner attached to blaze King.
How long were you burning before this happened

An hour without closing the bypass is pretty long, even on a cold start its take me 20 minutes.

Why would it take 1 hour running the stove before closing the by-pass?

Because if there was no oil in the liner and it hadn't been burnt through before there would be nothing inside it to burn

And yes an hour is way to long to burn with the bypass open

Reactions: ratsrepus
Old residue burning off due to a long overdue bypass being open. My guess.

Sounds like the stove was running like an old locomotive without a spark arrestor.
Chimney fire

Reactions: moresnow
as been talked about here previously, when the bypass is open on a BK, the flames can shoot right up the chimney. Shouldn't be necessary to keep the bypass open that long

Will1019 New liner or old liner, but new stove?

Last edited:
Guess I assumed (perhaps incorrectly;)) it was a new stove install on a existing liner since the liner did not appear to be called out as new? Maybe the OP will stop in and comment. It would be interesting to know. Merry Xmas everybody!

There must have still been creosote in the liner after the cleaning otherwise there would be nothing to burn.

I have a blaze king and have noticed that if you leave the by-pass open very long, the chimney gets hot quick. I reload and drink coffee. Wait for the temp to get right around the active zone and close the damper.

Leaving bypass open can also damage the new stove....

About one hour did not even have a chance to Close the bypass.
Something about this doesn’t sound right. Even from a cold start I can get the cat active within 20 minutes. Having the bypass open for one hour seems excessive and could have been what caused your pipe to get so hot. Are you trying to burn wet wood? Was your needle still inactive at one hour? Is it calibrated? Need more info, but something isn’t jiving here.

If it’s a new stove shouldn’t there be a series of small break in fires? Which during these break in fires does it get hot enough to close the bypass? Which than does a break in fire even get hot enough to start a chimney fire?

My 2 cents - the pic of the liner doesn't show to much discoloring, my concern is if the liner was either brand new or thoroughly cleaned then perhaps the stove was over drafting causing sparks / embers to be able to travel up the whole system and out the cap. If that's the case then the new owner will be fighting this stove until they can get the draft situation under control. Remember the draft should be .05"h20 while a fire is running at the highest t-stat setting and the by-pass is closed.

If that's the case then the new owner will be fighting this stove until they can get the draft situation under control

Turn down the stat to reduce useable air while in open bypass mode? Should be able to cure his issue I would think. Worth a try for sure.