Chimney Challenge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

KathyRed

Hearth Supporter
Aug 30, 2009
Northern Ohio
Hi all, I have been reading your wonderful posts for years and I finally registered to see if you could help me. I have been researching wood burning stoves for years (I love the soapstone stoves) but our house was not designed with a chimney - and locating a chimney is causing me to consider abandoning my dream of a wood fire.

I want to put the stove on the lower floor of a two story section of our house. The lower floor has 8 foot ceilings and one real option for a stove on an exterior wall. The room above has a vaulted ceiling with a 12-12 pitched roof. The roof is made from 2x12's (16 inches apart) - there are no trusses. The upper room has a 4 foot knee wall and is 24 feet across - with the 12-12 pitch the peak of the room is 16 feet from the floor.

If I take the chimney pipe straight up the inside wall I would make a small chase along the interior of the knee wall in the upper room BUT once it exited to the roof the chimney would need to be more than 15 feet high on top of the roof in order to get 2 feet above the peak of the roof. That much exposed piping is out of the question (ugly) and I am even disappointed with what a 2/3 chase with stone would look like as this portion of roof is very close to the front of my house and a 15 foot high chase would be VERY obvious.

The total height of any chimney would be around 24 feet so I think I can get away with a few angled segments.

Is it possible to run a multiwalled pipe up between and inside two of the roof joists? In other words I would have around a 10 foot length of pipe running at a 45 degree angle up inside the pitch of the roof between two joists- and have it exit the roof joist chase nearer the peak so I would only need to have an external chase of a few feet?

My husband is out of ideas...

We would also have an expert installer do any of the work, we are just wondering what is possible.

Kathy, I am in no way an expert on this but I am sure there are many on here that can help with this. It is my understanding that there is a ratio of feet above the roof so many feet from the chimney not the peak. I know my masonry chimney is certainly not higher than the peak of my roof. I do not know where in northern Ohio you are but there is a great stove shop in Toledo, the Coal and Woodburner shop. Myself as well as several friends in central Ohio have done business with them. The owners are Jeff and Jenny Spencer, good honest folks. I am sure that they can get you on the right track as well.

Well we have been operating on the following (2-3-10) guidelines which we've seen in a couple of places.

The chimney must be exceed the peak by 2 feet.

The chimney must be at least 3 feet above the point it exits the roof.

The chimney top must be 10 feet away from the roof.

With a 12-12 pitched roof the only way we can get 10 feet away from the roof to meet the last criteria is to be above the absolute peak of the roof (and to meet criteria 1, two feet more).

Maybe we've misinterpreted what this means, which is why I'm here!

Thanks for the response!

Kathy

HEY, KathyRed,

<>I want to put the stove on the lower floor of a two story section of our house. The lower floor has 8 foot ceilings and one real option for a stove on an exterior wall. The room above has a vaulted ceiling with a 12-12 pitched roof. The roof is made from 2x12's (16 inches apart) - there are no trusses. The upper room has a 4 foot knee wall and is 24 feet across - with the 12-12 pitch the peak of the room is 16 feet from the floor.

If I take the chimney pipe straight up the inside wall I would make a small chase along the interior of the knee wall in the upper room BUT once it exited to the roof the chimney would need to be more than 15 feet high on top of the roof in order to get 2 feet above the peak of the roof. That much exposed piping is out of the question (ugly) and I am even disappointed with what a 2/3 chase with stone would look like as this portion of roof is very close to the front of my house and a 15 foot high chase would be VERY obvious.

The total height of any chimney would be around 24 feet so I think I can get away with a few angled segments.

Is it possible to run a multiwalled pipe up between and inside two of the roof joists? In other words I would have around a 10 foot length of pipe running at a 45 degree angle up inside the pitch of the roof between two joists- and have it exit the roof joist chase nearer the peak so I would only need to have an external chase of a few feet?<>

The problem is that the 45 degree Class A offsets do not meet code in the USA. You can only use 15 or 30 degree offsets. That angle will not follow your roof line, the way you want it to...Where did you get 15 feet? By code you have to be 144" - 12 feet out of the roof, although you CAN reduce that the closer you get to the peak. Maybe your best bet is to locate the wood stove somewhere central to the room & NOT near an outside wall. That way you can go straight up or at least MOSTLY straight with connector to a cathedral support box...Just throwing it out there. I'm sure others can and will present their ideas. Maybe if you post a pic or a drawing, we can figure something out that's safe, will work & still look reasonably acceptable...

Status
Not open for further replies.