Chimney Cap? What is this called?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

We're_cooking!

Sep 11, 2023
Oregon
Getting our Lopi Large Flush Wood NexGen-Hybrid™ Rect. Insert installed has been pretty frustrating. This was supposed to happen in June, but the morning of, the supervisor of the install team had a minor heart attack on the way to pick up our stove and got into a car accident.

Then, in the middle of July, a different team with no boss showed up, telling us our insert would not fit. This team didn't seem empowered to make problem-solving decisions, and I was not impressed. We will call this team Joe Dirt. They did install the liner and the stuff that goes on the Chimney top, I'd like your help identifying what this is called.

I had a class that night, and my husband talked to the company owner; the owner was confused as he was the one who came and did all the measurements before we picked out our stove; he thought it should fit.

A different team installed the wood stove the following week, and magically, it fit with clearance.

I'm concerned about the work that the Joe Dirt team did. What is this metal cap called (red arrow)? What should this look like? Right now, it seems like it was bent over the back of a pickup truck. My 10 year with some metal shears probably could have done a better job. We hired this out because we don't do heights, but we are handy people and have re-wired and re-plumbed both houses we are in. I was expecting something similar to the purple arrow in finish quality. Is this unreasonable?

My concern is I'm in a very wet part of Oregon; hard rains at a 45-degree angle are pretty typical for us in the winter; I'm always thinking about water mitigation, gutters, and french-drains; when I came home and saw this, I was concerned.

Questions:

1. What is this piece called (red arrow)?
  2. Is it reasonable to say to the installer, WTF, this is not acceptable, redo?
  3. Are there places on the internet to purchase a pre-fab'ed one of these caps? Can folks let me know the company names?
I want this done, but I'll be damned if I get water damage because of this.

Chimney Cap?   What is this called? Chimney Cap?   What is this called? Chimney Cap?   What is this called?

That is called the chimney top plate. The one installed is a generic version. It's hard to tell if it is properly sealed to the flue tile from this angle. Not the prettiest install for sure.

Yes, there are good quality top plates available that have factory folded corners like the other chimney cap. Here is a good source:

Last edited:
Reactions: 30WCF