Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
The folks that gave me that oak in December brought me another load.
36 rounds of cherry, 12-14" diameter. A few sticks of oak and one or two of maple.

I believe there is some oak, but something else too...
The pile smells quite tangy, acidic. Like oak on steroids. First time fresh cherry for me (previous cherry was already a few years old), and I have to say I don't like the smell.

Burning seasoned cherry smells great though.

IMG_20210313_100156714_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
So, I got two pines last weekend. Two more next weekend or the one after that. This cherry, and a 1.25 face cord of ash is what I hope to burn next year.

Maybe a 1.5 face cord of oak that was CSS from dead standing December 2019 will be ready too.

Years after that I'm all good.

Nice thing is that I told the tree company that logs would be fine, but they bucked them already. All for free

The folks that gave me that oak in December brought me another load.
36 rounds of cherry, 12-14" diameter. A few sticks of oak and one or two of maple.

I believe there is some oak, but something else too...
The pile smells quite tangy, acidic. Like oak on steroids. First time fresh cherry for me (previous cherry was already a few years old), and I have to say I don't like the smell.

Burning seasoned cherry smells great though.

View attachment 276290

I know exactly what you mean about the smell of freshly cut cherry.

Late last fall, my wife saw a post on FB about free wood that had just been cut down, cherry and cedar. When I got there, all that was left was cherry and I noticed as I was cutting it into rounds and loading it into my truck that bitter, acrid, unpleasant smell.

Hard to believe it smells so bad when first cut, because it sure does smell great when burning, if properly seasoned.

Reactions: stoveliker
Consider it amatuer repellant. Let them take the other stuff and leave the sweet sweet cherry for us!

Reactions: stoveliker