Check that OAK inlet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funflyer

Burning Hunk
Nov 6, 2014
Central Arizona
Okay, so I've been reading all the posts on whether or not an OAK is beneficial or not and finally decided to test the theory myself. I had been playing with the Englander settings over the last several weeks and think I have the best possible heat output that I can get.

Tonight, 29 degrees outside 72 in the house with the stove on level 3 and OAK hooked up, highest convection air temp was 175 checked for 20 minutes. Next the OAK duct is pulled from the stove and moved about 15 inches away. First thing I note is a good amount of cold air being drawn in through the open OAK so I sealed it with a piece of duct tape. Next I see that the flame is significantly more active and more fly ash is flying around. Within 5 minutes the convection air temp had risen to 187 degrees and remained there over the next 20 minutes. Now the OAK gets hooked back up and within five minutes the convection air temp settled back down to about 175. So here I am thinking there is an advantage to using warm room air vs outside air for combustion when I decide to check the outside cover on the OAK. Small louvers looked normal but kind of tight so I thought I'd open them up a bit and go check the temp again. Well that did the trick, convection air shot back up to about 187 within minutes.

I performed the comparison one more time with the OAK disconnected from the stove and it made no difference in the convection air temp but did pull more cold air in from the base of the front door, not much more but it was noticeable. I'm satisfied that the OAK is a good thing but I will replace the OAK aluminum cover with a screen to ensure it remains free flowing. Now I can stop reading all the posts about the good, bad and ugly of the OAK.

This pic is after I opened up half of the louvers slightly and that's all it took.

Check that OAK inlet

Well, I wanted to stomp all over you for starting up the OAK thread again but I read on ;lol. Check your OAK to ensure it is clear is the moral of this story.... ==c

Reactions: funflyer
This might be a record year for OAK discussions. Glad I joined when I did. To the OP, nice investigative work. OAK on!

Reactions: funflyer
Lake Girl, I too was tired of reading about the subject as it lost it's value after the first 100 or so replies. Now I'm wondering if Englander still supplies the same OAK with the "choke" for a cover, maybe Mike can chime in. I'm just glad that people beat this dead horse so long that it made me test the difference.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.