Check out this one i cleaned today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
The top is 4' high. I took 20 or so gals of creosote out of the chimney

Attachments

• 20181108_140235.jpg
    20181108_140235.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,284
  • 20181108_140221.jpg
    20181108_140221.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,383
  • 20181108_140210.jpg
    20181108_140210.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,145
Yeah oops

Dang...that's a lot.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Damn that's a beast. Galvanized stove pipe?

With you and your opinions on here, I bet you had to shove a big foot in your mouth for this one hahaha

Kool pictures simple looking stove!

I thought for sure you were going to post a picture of yourself with a tall black hat beard and dark sun glasses lol

20 gallons of creosote is hard to believe. They are very lucky that stuff didn't catch on fire. That's a lot of fuel.

Once I had an old farmer that was pretty confrontational when I got there, his wife wanted the chimney cleaned, but he knew it didn’t need it. I filled a 30 gallon trash bag with creosote! The horizontal section was almost filled with fly ash too. Once I cracked it open, the guy left in a hurry...;lol

20 gallons of creosote is hard to believe. They are very lucky that stuff didn't catch on fire. That's a lot of fuel.
Sadly 10+ gals is not that uncommon. There is one place we take 20 to 30 gals out every year. The most i ever took out of a chimney was about 65 gals. We now clean that place every year and get 15 to 20 a year.

The lady with this stove just got the house when her father died. We have been working on the stove for years but she just ordered a regency 5100 to replace this beast.

Reactions: kennyp2339
With you and your opinions on here, I bet you had to shove a big foot in your mouth for this one hahaha
It has an insulated liner it meets all clearances it is just a rediculous stove that cant possibly be run clean. She already knew it needed to go

Wow! How many of these dino',s do you still get to see? At least its getting replaced. May be interesting getting them up to speed on the modern unit:eek:

Wow! How many of these dino',s do you still get to see? At least its getting replaced. May be interesting getting them up to speed on the modern unit:eek:
Allot but even with modern stoves this website really is not an accurate representation of how most woodburners run their stoves.

Replaced two old oil fired boilers in a machine shop once. The pipes and chimney were clogged nearly shut. Made a horrible mess.

Sadly 10+ gals is not that uncommon. There is one place we take 20 to 30 gals out every year. The most i ever took out of a chimney was about 65 gals. We now clean that place every year and get 15 to 20 a year.

The lady with this stove just got the house when her father died. We have been working on the stove for years but she just ordered a regency 5100 to replace this beast.
Wow, last 2 sweeping I came up with a grand 3/4 cup of dust.

Replaced two old oil fired boilers in a machine shop once. The pipes and chimney were clogged nearly shut. Made a horrible mess.
Now that I can understand. In my youth we had to clean out decades of soot from the breach for live coal boilers at Wingdale, NY. The duct connecting to the huge brick chimney was big enough for a semi to drive thru. We put in a temporary huge exhaust blower, cut thru the roof and tied that into the breach. Then we had to weld in plates to block the the breech so that it could be vacuumed and repaired. Want to know what it's like to have to go into 20' of soot? It took days to wash that stuff out.

Last edited:
Wow, last 2 sweeping I came up with a grand 3/4 cup of dust.
And we do work for people whose chimneys are like that. Some of them are even using old pre epa stoves. Most now have somewhere between a gallon or 2.