Cheat River pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dabug

Oct 21, 2018
Monroe County Pa
Local lowes got first delivery of wood pellets. Cheat River.. Reviews and in what pellet stove have you use them in?

Attachments

• 20190720_093657.jpg
    20190720_093657.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 441
Looks like they changed their bag labels. Ran a few bags couple years ago from lowes in a harman p68. Good heat and fluffy ash that never covered the burn pot holes. They are appalachian wood and would not hesitate to buy them again.

Ran a few bags of these thru a Harman XXV stove and liked them. Decent heat and didn't seem to produce much ash. We normally use Hamers, burn 5-6 tons of pellets a year. We decided to buy a few tons of Cheat River from the Lowes in Waynesboro, PA. The price on the sign ($268/ton) wasn't the same as the price I was quoted over the phone ($247/ton), took forever at Customer Service to get it straightened out. The poor woman helping us was confused by the math of discounting the price per bag and ended up giving us an even better price, $222/ton, so we bought an additional 2 tons to pick up later. We were assured that they put our name on the additional pellets, we could pick them up weeks or months later, no problem, but Lowes messes everything up so we went back the next day, and of course they hadn't put our name on anything. There were no Cheat Rivers left, only a Virginia softwood or Greene Teams (we tried a few bags of these last year and didn't like them). We were on our way to Customer Service sort it out when we found a stash of Cheat Rivers in another part of the store. Lowes staff can't track different brands in the store because different pellets are given the AP Hardwood item number. It was a bit of a nightmare but for $222/ton it was worth it. Hamers are $295/ton around here, and so far we really don't notice a difference.

not sure of those locations, but butler county PA, Pittsburgh area (north) they have cheat rive for 190 (pre buy) so maybe 200 a ton. might be worth a call if you can haul more than a few tons at a time

I got my Castle Serenity in late in the season last winter (February) and bought 20 bags of Cheat Rivers from Lowes in Northern Virginia.

They burned great for me. I'm burning the last of the 20 bags now that it's getting cold again, and I'm sorry that Lowes is not carrying them this year.

Lowes staff can't track different brands in the store because different pellets are given the AP Hardwood item number. It was a bit of a nightmare but for $222/ton it was worth it. Hamers are $295/ton around here, and so far we really don't notice a difference.

Yep. I was a bit surprised to see a few days ago when I went in to buy pellets that the web inventory of 1,780 bags of hardwood pellets included numerous pallets of Virginia Golden softwood pellets.

Same price, though. $5.49 a bag.