Chase design questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

M1_Mission

Oct 18, 2024
Illinois
Hello,

Please forgive my ignorance in all things fireplace related...

I recently purchased a home and had the Heat & Glow SL-550TRS-C fireplace inspected.

The inspector identified a few issues.

The main issue is that the back side of my fireplace, is entirely in my garage and there is no chase built to house the fireplace and exhaust duct.

I have the owners manual and intend to follow the clearance requirements to combustible materials. I have lots of experience with construction and DIY projects. However, I have never dealt with fireplaces and am a little apprehensive to build something that is potentially going to start on fire and burn my house down.

After hours of google searches, i cannot find clear and concise instructions on how to properly construct a chase.

Can someone please spell it out for me like I am a small child? lol

I.e., Do both sides of the chase walls have to be sheetrocked? What type of insulation is used that near a fireplace? The side and back clearance to combustible material is .5". I understand what that means, but is it actually safe to have sheetrock .5" away from the the fireplace? Any information that can be used in chase design and construction will help tons.

I will post some photos later this evening.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Here are some pictures before and after I removed the sheet metal tape and trimmed the Sheetrock to meet the clearance requirements.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Chase design questions
    IMG_4833.webp
    71.6 KB · Views: 6
    IMG_4835.webp
    64.7 KB · Views: 6
    IMG_4834.webp
    58 KB · Views: 4
    IMG_4836.webp
    80.3 KB · Views: 4
    IMG_4837.webp
    90.6 KB · Views: 5
Thank for your reply. I have reviewed the manual and have trimmed all the Sheetrock accordingly.

One of my many questions is when I frame out the chase, is the interior sheet rocked as well?

Is it safe to have Sheetrock .5” away from the fireplace even though my distance to combustible material is .5”?

If I don’t Sheetrock the inside the chase, is the insulation safe?

What type of insulation do I need?

Thanks in advance,

Afam

The chase is basically just a framed box enclosing the stove and flue. The protects the unit and also protects people from accidentally touching it. If the clearances are honored it should be safe. There is no harm in exceeding clearances and often it's a good idea for peace of mind. Note that the flue pipe has different clearance requirements.

The chase doesn't have to have insulation, but it may be desired to keep the cold from entering the house. If so, string wire in an X fashion in each stud bay in order to keep the stove--side of the insulation in place. The chase does not need a sheetrock liner but that is recommended to create a sealed interior of the chase to block breezes and cold air infiltration. Check with the inspector to see what local code requires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lennox65
The pictures below are from a rear vent fireplace in an exterior chase. While your application is somewhat different, the principles are the same. As others have said, make sure that you keep the proper clearances from the fireplace and venting( as specified in the installation manual).

Attachments

IMG_0338.webp
    230.1 KB · Views: 1
    IMG_0339.webp
    177.5 KB · Views: 1
    IMG_0340.webp
    192 KB · Views: 2