Charcoal lump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think you mean an EPA stove. I haven’t heard of making charcoal in a woodstove. Do you mean like to use for a grill?

Has anyone made charcoal in thier FDA Woodstove? I have seen a few youtube videos on this.....
It's not going to be easy in an epa stove because you can't smother them

It's not going to be easy in an epa stove because you can't smother them
I've made biochar in the stove as an experiment. This was done by taking two large tomato cans, punching a few holes around their bases, then crimping the end of one and filling it with wood chips. The two cans are then crammed together to make a vessel. I put the assembly on a hot coal bed and left it there until it stopped smoking. This made some nice charcoal. If you want biochar for the garden then grind the charcoal finer with a old blender.

Reactions: weee123 and bholler
There’s a guy I watch on YouTube Shawn James that has made charcoal in his wood stove. If I remember correctly he had a sealed metal box he would fill with kindling sized pieces and place it on top of the coals inside the firebox.

Could this be done too by covering chunks with sand (and then having a fire on top)?

I have made charcoal in camp fire, cut 1 inch ish peices ( or smaller) and pack a coffee can and set in the fire. Covered the end with foil and poked a small hole for the gases to escape.

An Old 55 gallon oil drum is probably the easiest vessel to use if you want to make a decent amount of charcoal from wood.

Reactions: TheJeff
An Old 55 gallon oil drum is probably the easiest vessel to use if you want to make a decent amount of charcoal from wood.
I have a friend that has mastered this technique and developed the 55 gallon TLUD into an extraordinary clean burning system. He makes a lot of biochar and continues to develop new models ( I think he is on about #25 by now). It burns so cleanly that there is no smoke and amazingly very little if any smoke smell.

I've made biochar in the stove as an experiment. This was done by taking two large tomato cans, punching a few holes around their bases, then crimping the end of one and filling it with wood chips. The two cans are then crammed together to make a vessel. I put the assembly on a hot coal bed and left it there until it stopped smoking. This made some nice charcoal. If you want biochar for the garden then grind the charcoal finer with a old blender.
Thanks that is what I was thinking of doing. Looking to get heat and just enough charcoal for my new big green egg.

Thanks that is what I was thinking of doing. Looking to get heat and just enough charcoal for my new big green egg.
I did this thought experiment when I first got my big Joe. You will figure out that the cheap lump charcoal does fine for some cooks. Others not so much. Get a couple bags of jealous devil or Kamado Joe for the pizza nights or 12+ hour cooks when they are on sale. No way you could make charcoal that dense with oak. Maybe if you had madrone, you could get close. Explore the world of cold smoking with a pellet smoker tube. Cook on don’t get hung up on how to make cheap charcoal.