Century s244?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roadranger

Jan 20, 2016
Vermont
So I've recently finished our 3 season porch and turned it into a (sort of) poor man's 4 season sun room. As in, it's warm when we open the doors to it. So recently I've been batting around the idea of adding a second wood stove to the house. The house is roughly 1600ish finished square feet. The basement is finished into another living area with two bedrooms, a half bath?laundry room, and a mud room. Currently we have a lopi endeavor down there with a masonry chimney with a double wall insulated liner with a real long draft. It has no trouble heating the house and keeping it around 68 without the furnace coming on at night. Upstairs is another two bedrooms, albeit one it very small, with a full bath, kitchen, dining, and living room. The porch area is 8 by 16 roughly. Maybe a hair smaller. So the idea is to add a second small stove on the porch to open the french doors right up and allow for a little extra head upstairs when it's extra cold outside.

I seem to have come down to the Century S244. My local Aubuchon has one in stock for $499, plus the state and feds cut of course. The size is right for the area I would like to install it. Seems small enough to not cook us out of the house (I think...). Seems the firebox will be large enough to keep some hot coals by morning? Remember, just extra heat, so no need for 12 hour burn times.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on this stove from anyone that has one or has experience with one. Any input would be appreciated.

Used one for a couple seasons to heat my entire house. Plenty of heat output. Mine needed more tending than I wanted. Overnight burn meant reloads in the middle of the night. Lots of trips back home to reload during the day. The primary air control is a bit crude which doesn't regulate down as good as I wanted. If you don't mind tending often its a good heater. Your porch may be waaaay warm I am guessing! I still have mine and plan on putting it back to use in my garage. Actually cant wait to get it up and running again.

Good to hear. I'm sure the porch will be plenty warm haha. The idea is to add heat to help the lopi that's down stairs when temperatures really drop low. Loading at night and constant tending won't really be an issue being it won't be the primary heater of the house. Is it fairly well made?

The stove is solid. And simple. The original door and window gaskets only lasted two years. Easily replaced. Very significant change in burn behavior:rolleyes: Secondary baffle is fixed and never showed any damage. Be sure you get the firebricks that set up on the back of the baffle (4). I've seen two without them.

On my second season with the s244. So far it's been a good little stove. Last year was a battle between me and it as it was my first epa stove. I had a bit of a learning curve with it. This years heating season is going great. As others have said it's a solid stove. it will surprise you on the heat it will put out.