Century heating CW2500 help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gallo203

Dec 20, 2020
Connecticut
Hello all, I have a CW2500 that my father who recently passed away installed. It worked fine up until this year. The blower is not blowing hot air. Any idea on what to do?

Century heating CW2500 help

I would look at the stove and liner carefully for safety issues. And make sure the liner has been cleaned. Even pay someone if unsure what to look for and how to clean the liner.

Then look at the blower or cord for electrical issues. Clean fan cage. Or possible passages clogged.

The blower circuit is fairly simple. It might just be a switch that has failed.

If it's a thermo switch, make sure you're burning hot enough. The pic looks like a smokey fire box.

imho - Without being involved when using the stove, knowing how it was fired and maintained, I'd do a safety inspection on the stove and liner before even using it. No different then buying a house with a used stove already installed.

Unless Im misunderstaing the OP and he lived in the house with his did and knows the stoves history.

My dad installed it and always maintained it. It worked great until this winter. So my best bet is to probably have someone come look at it? I’m very unfamiliar with the circuits and electrical.

So the blower runs just not warm air? I have the big brother to that insert. Remove the two bolts, one on each side of the blower assembly and see if there is anything in there.

Is there a old ash clean out door or outside air supply in the original masonry fireplace that has been dislodged/opened from it's seated position? Can you confirm that there is a stainless liner from the stove collar to the top of the masonry chimney? Is the liner termination finished correctly/sealed where it exits the chimney? Where else could cold air possibly come from when the insert has a fire in it?

Yessir just blowing cold air.. and it seems to only be blowing from the center vent.

I'm sorry you lost your father.

Regarding the blower, I think you are confused. The blower at the bottom sucks air in, blows air under the bottom, around the back and up around, exiting over the top of the stove. You'll feel a draft at the bottom, but it's coming in, not going out. I can tell what you are experiencing by the fact that you said it's only coming out of the center vent, and the blower motor is behind the center vent. But air is going in, not out, and any air coming out of the center vent is just a little turbulence.

To get the optimum heat blowing out the top, you'll need dry wood and a block off plate to keep much of the heat from going up the chimney.

The definition of dry wood is specific, and of the utmost importance. And by the picture of your burning stove, that wood ain't dry.

Spend some time on this site reading about it, as well as the block off plate. You'll have to remove the surround to see if there is a block off plate. No big deal.

Find the manual online for the stove. Very helpful for successful operation of this stove.

Last edited:
This could just be a case of the wood not being fully seasoned. The stove face temp is reading 400º. It would be putting out a lot more heat if it was reading 600º.

I'm sorry you lost your father.

Regarding the blower, I think you are confused. The blower at the bottom sucks air in, blows air under the bottom, around the back and up around, exiting over the top of the stove. You'll feel a draft at the bottom, but it's coming in, not going out. I can tell what you are experiencing by the fact that you said it's only coming out of the center vent, and the blower motor is behind the center vent. But air is going in, not out, and any air coming out of the center vent is just a little turbulence.

To get the optimum heat blowing out the top, you'll need dry wood and a block off plate to keep much of the heat from going up the chimney.

The definition of dry wood is specific, and of the utmost importance. And by the picture of your burning stove, that wood ain't dry.

Spend some time on this site reading about it, as well as the block off plate. You'll have to remove the surround to see if there is a block off plate. No big deal.

Find the manual online for the stove. Very helpful for successful operation of this stove.

oh wow ok, my mother and I both couldn’t remember if hot air came out there. Thank you very much. And regarding the heat, I just started the fire so it hadn’t gotten up to temperature yet. But I will keep an eye in that in the future. Thank you to everyone that helped! This was probably the nicest community I’ve ever interacted with!!

oh wow ok, my mother and I both couldn’t remember if hot air came out there. Thank you very much. And regarding the heat, I just started the fire so it hadn’t gotten up to temperature yet. But I will keep an eye in that in the future. Thank you to everyone that helped! This was probably the nicest community I’ve ever interacted with!!
Good luck, Gallo.

I have a very similar stove, and went through similar learning curve, but after a few adjustments, we really love the stove. I still refer to the manual from time to time, it's really well done. Most of or problems came from losing heat up through a space in front of the chimney, and once we fixed that, it's been a different world. And again, sorry about your Dad. I lost mine back in February.