Century Fireplace Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just to clarify, is the issue with a chimney damper at the top of the chimney? If so, that appears to be an addon. Most sweeps should be able to fix or install a new cable. Or is the damper on the convection outlet?

There's a circular upper damper in the chimney, at eye level. This should be linked by cable to a lower bypass damper just above the hearth, but the cable has broken.

Not sure why that was added. I didn't see it in the manual, but may have missed a reference. If it was added, I would be tempted to lock it open and use the fireplace that way. Most ZC fireplaces are undampered.

Thanks. That video is helpful. First time I have seen it. This looks like an internal part. Have you called Century for a replacement?

Has anyone else even seen/heard of this manufacturer? New to me. Interesting. Wonder if we have any other members using these?
The manu. recommendation to leave anything 10" dia. or less unsplit seems rather odd! Unless I read that incorrectly? I read zero in the literature recommending seasoned wood either? Hmmm.

@gbwez fill us in if you get time on how well this unit has performed for you up until now. Thanks

This is a first for me too. I am wondering if it is mostly a locally sold item in Kansas.

Reactions: moresnow
This is a first for me too. I am wondering if it is mostly a locally sold item in Kansas.

The post above shows that @begreen and myself both commented on the earlier Century thread... Funny I really don't recall that thread. Sounds like they were put out of buss. in '19 or prior.

Thanks. I had forgotten that conversation. The website is still active. I visited it due to this posting. That, the manual and the video are the extents of my knowledge on the system. In the other thread the conversation switched to replacement units.

After sending an email through their website I got a call from the company owner, they're still in business and he is shipping me a repair kit :)

Previous owner of my house ran it for 30 years and says it's the best fireplace ever.

Reactions: moresnow
Great, that's good news. Keep us posted on how it works for you this winter.