Century CW2900 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Technologic80

Dec 28, 2015
Michigan
I recently installed a Century CW2900 wood burning insert into my fireplace, with a 15' stainless liner kit. I had my chimney swept and inspected before this project and thankfully my chimney was in good shape.

My concern: It was difficult for me to build a block plate proper because of the lack of working room I had and the size of my flue opening (6"). So what I did was took some sheet metal, cut it to go on TOP of the flue, cut it in half with a hole in the middle for the liner, put Roxul on top of the sheet metal, run the liner through all of that, and put Roxul on the bottom side of the "block off plate" too. Really the only gaps were around the middle where the pipe ran through the plate. I shoved Roxul in the gaps.

So far, the stove has been operational for a week and a half and it is doing an exceptional job of heating my 1690sq ft home. I am using 2-3 year seasoned oak from my property, and am getting great burn times. I never expected the stove to heat my whole house, from what I read on the web. However, this thing rocks!

After what I've read here, it sounds like Roxul is FINE for that kind of job but I was kind of nervous doing it this way, I have a hard time digesting that the Roxul wont burn. But the company says its good up til 2,000F degrees so who am I to argue? lol. But will I have any problems with the way I did the block off plate with Roxul on the top of it AND beneath it?

Roxul is mineral wool. It should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.