Ceiling register size recommendation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

B4rk3r

Aug 26, 2024
Western NC
Have a Regency Liberty LRI6E (LP) installed in an old heatilator style fireplace in a 14x25ft basement room with 8ft ceilings. The room is finished and insulated with a door facing the fireplace. The door leads to a hallway then a stairway in a ranch/split level style home. It has been installed for a few years now and although just opening the door and blowing a floor fan at the fireplace does move some air to the upstairs, it's not a ton of heat. I can get the basement room to 88-90 degrees on 20-30 degree nights but I'd like to move more air upstairs.

I am playing with the idea of installing two registers from my fireplace room into my upstairs in hopes that it draws the cold air down and helps push the hot air out of the room and into the stairwell. What size registers will be enough to move the air optimally? I would like to add registers to the far wall of the fireplace room if that would also be an optimal spot. Before anyone asks, I will be within fire code so that will not be an issue. This fireplace is just for supplemental heat and not the main source. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Ceiling register size recommendation?Ceiling register size recommendation?Ceiling register size recommendation?

Last edited:
If you build a chase 2-3 ft down from the registers, cold air will sink there and warm air gets pushed up thru the door. It creates a gravity operated convection loop.

I have one 6*10" register on my living room floor to which I connected a duct and inline fan. It sucks the coldest air from the floor and deposits that *on the floor* of my basement where the stove is. Then the warmest air gets pushed up the stairs. It heats my home easily in 5 F winter storms.

I do believe that cutting a hole in the fire barrier that is your wood floor is a fire code issue (hence.me putting in a fire damper).

Reactions: B4rk3r and EbS-P