Cawley Lemay 600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Haflinger

Feb 23, 2022
North Country, NY
[Hearth.com] Cawley Lemay 600
CawleyLemay
5h ago

Hi to All,
I am installing a Cawley Lemay 600 wood stove. A few facts:
  • The install will be through wall with outside chimney.
  • The Flue Collar is 6 inches, page 13 of manual
  • The Manual states masonry new chimney should be 8x8, but below that it talks about new fabricated chimneys and to install those to manufactures specs: Page 19: “CHIMNEYS NEW CHIMNEYS The warmer the chimney, the better the draft and the less likely the condensation of creosote. Therefore, a new chimney should, fi possible, be located inside the house and not on an exterior wall, where its warmth would be lost to the outside. A new chimney should be constructed according to local building codes. AClass "A" single flue should incorporate no more than one heating appliance, minimum 8x8flue liner. The cost of adding additional flues for future use is minimal when building a new chimney.
EXISTING CHIMNEYS An existing chimney should be checked out by a chimney expert. tI should be fully lined, structurally sound, and free of any blockages. Note: Achimney that was adequate for a gas or an oil furnace may not be so for a woodstove, which-has a much higher burning temper- ature. Stoves vented into an existing fireplace should be properlyprepared.
FABRICATED CHIMNEYS T h e r e are a number of excellent fabricated chimneys available which are considerably less expensive than new masonry chimneys. These chimneys should be installed according to manufacturers’ instructions. It is of the utmost importance to maintain the recommended clearances between the chimney and any combustible surfaces. Chimney construction and structural alterations in your house are beyond the scope of this handbook. We strongly advise obtaining more information.”
  • I shall be installing ICC EXCEL flue pipe and Chimney pipe
QUESTIONS (focus on safety and creosote build up in answers please): 1- For the interior flue pipe, should I use the single wall OR the ‘Ultra Black’ double wall?
2- May I/ should I use the Excel 6 inch flue AND The 6 inch chimney pipe OR the 8 inch chimney pipe?
3- If I should use the Excel 8 inch chimney pipe, where do I make the change: at the 6 inch flue collar OR at the through wall 8 inch tee?
4- Assuming the 3/2/10 rule, is there a height minimum for the outside chimney?
5- What would be the preferred chimney height regarding draw?
Thank you!
Ps: I have been lead down this rabbit hole due to research that is all over the proverbial map:
  • 8 inch will add more draw Vs 8 inch will decrease draw due to more air volume;
  • 8 inch will add more creosote as more space to keep warm
  • Due to heat output of the Cawley Lemay 600, an 8 Inch chimney pipe is needed!
PSs: I have shared the original 1970s manual for the Cawley Lemay 400/600 with Kingdom Wood Stoves. Thanks for bringing my 600 back to life!!
Thank to you all who partake in this endeavor by responding!

[Hearth.com] Cawley Lemay 600
CawleyLemay
5h ago

Hi to All,
I am installing a Cawley Lemay 600 wood stove. A few facts:
  • The install will be through wall with outside chimney.
  • The Flue Collar is 6 inches, page 13 of manual
  • The Manual states masonry new chimney should be 8x8, but below that it talks about new fabricated chimneys and to install those to manufactures specs: Page 19: “CHIMNEYS NEW CHIMNEYS The warmer the chimney, the better the draft and the less likely the condensation of creosote. Therefore, a new chimney should, fi possible, be located inside the house and not on an exterior wall, where its warmth would be lost to the outside. A new chimney should be constructed according to local building codes. AClass "A" single flue should incorporate no more than one heating appliance, minimum 8x8flue liner. The cost of adding additional flues for future use is minimal when building a new chimney.
EXISTING CHIMNEYS An existing chimney should be checked out by a chimney expert. tI should be fully lined, structurally sound, and free of any blockages. Note: Achimney that was adequate for a gas or an oil furnace may not be so for a woodstove, which-has a much higher burning temper- ature. Stoves vented into an existing fireplace should be properlyprepared.
FABRICATED CHIMNEYS T h e r e are a number of excellent fabricated chimneys available which are considerably less expensive than new masonry chimneys. These chimneys should be installed according to manufacturers’ instructions. It is of the utmost importance to maintain the recommended clearances between the chimney and any combustible surfaces. Chimney construction and structural alterations in your house are beyond the scope of this handbook. We strongly advise obtaining more information.”
  • I shall be installing ICC EXCEL flue pipe and Chimney pipe
QUESTIONS (focus on safety and creosote build up in answers please): 1- For the interior flue pipe, should I use the single wall OR the ‘Ultra Black’ double wall?
2- May I/ should I use the Excel 6 inch flue AND The 6 inch chimney pipe OR the 8 inch chimney pipe?
3- If I should use the Excel 8 inch chimney pipe, where do I make the change: at the 6 inch flue collar OR at the through wall 8 inch tee?
4- Assuming the 3/2/10 rule, is there a height minimum for the outside chimney?
5- What would be the preferred chimney height regarding draw?
Thank you!
Ps: I have been lead down this rabbit hole due to research that is all over the proverbial map:
  • 8 inch will add more draw Vs 8 inch will decrease draw due to more air volume;
  • 8 inch will add more creosote as more space to keep warm
  • Due to heat output of the Cawley Lemay 600, an 8 Inch chimney pipe is needed!
PSs: I have shared the original 1970s manual for the Cawley Lemay 400/600 with Kingdom Wood Stoves. Thanks for bringing my 600 back to life!!
Thank to you all who partake in this endeavor by responding!
Single wall is fine as long as you run of pipe is relatively short and you can meet the required clearances.
Run 6" the whole way.
I would say minimum of 12' from the stove to top of chimney but cawleys aren't all that picky. Anything over 25' i would add a pipe damper