Cathedral Ceiling Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GreyValley7

Jun 7, 2020
Maine
Hi All,
Insulated chimney installation question. I have installed a Selkirk MetalBest Universal Roof Support Kit which extends through the roof framing and below my cathedral ceiling into the room maybe 6” on the high side. I’m wondering if I also need to use a ceiling support kit with this as well? It doesn’t seem necessary other than for aesthetics? Also curious about insulating around the pipe

Thanks for the help
Ryan

No, that should suffice if you got the kit with the trim.
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 10.00.55 AM.png

Will the chimney also be braced at 5' above the roof? Will it need a cricket (snow diverter).

Thank you for the quick reply begreen. Yes, I did get the kit, but I do not have what looks like an adapter (black pipe with silver top in photo)that goes from insulated pipe to stove pipe? Is that necessary or can I just use an increaser from 6” stovepipe to 8” insulated pipe?

The adapter should have come with the kit. It is necessary. Why is 8" chimney pipe being installed for 6" stove pipe? Or do you mean that the chimney pipe is 8" OD but 6" ID?

Long story short, I had two sections of 10” OD 8” ID and wanted to use it at camp as existing single wall stovepipe was run through the roof by previous owners. Scary I know
What are possible issues with using g this set up with a stove that supports 6” pipe?

It doesn't seem worth it for 20" of pipe. That is not enough for the 10-3-2 rule. Personally I would return the kit and get one for 6" all the way. The system will draft better and cleaner and it will take a smaller cut in the roof.