Catalytic Stove at 8800ft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

erick3972

Oct 19, 2021
Good afternoon, I'm in the process of researching stoves for our house. We live at about 8800 ft. I was thinking of getting a catalytic stove but the dealer recommends against it saying they don't operate well at high altitude, cause sooting of the glass, are smokey, and that the combustor clogs. If anyone has any relevant experience, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks, Erick

That is not an inherent problem with catalytic stoves. The problem can happen due to a too short flue system creating insufficient draft in the thinner air at high altitude. That is not the stove's fault. There are altitude compensation tables published in some stove manuals to compensate. Here is an example for a VC Encore.

Altitude chart.JPG

If the flue system is straight-up, properly sized, and >20' high, it may work ok. What stove(s) are being considered?

The other issue that will soot up the glass quickly is poorly seasoned firewood. This is a common first time burner error, especially with purchased firewood that is sold as seasoned, but it is still damp inside.

It takes time to learn a stove too. They’ll all run a bit different than your last stove.

Since I have lived at 8500' for fifty years and heat with wood stoves, catalytic, I can say your dealer is full of baloney. It is possible that the dealer has customers who do not know how to burn wood correctly, or do not know how to operate their stoves, but in my experience there is no problem with catalytic stoves...well, I have only used Woodstock stoves, experience limited by that.

Nothing wrong with a cat stove at 8800 feet as long as you will have 25ft+ length of chimney, but non cat modern stoves at that elevation will need a long chimney as well.

Yes, stove designs varies and with it, the draft requirements also vary. This applies to some catalytic and non-catalytic stoves. Some breathe easier than others.