Catalyst Element Cleaning Tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hookspacken

Hearth Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Troy, NY
This is my 1st year burning wood, and I have to say that I have truly enjoyed it. I am getting ready to do a full cleaning of the stove and the manual doesnt give any meathods of cleaning the catalys. Are you supposed to just vaccum it out once exposed? Any advise would be great.

Two methods should be employed bursh it witha soft paint brush then vacume it also reverse the vacume hose and us it as a blower and blow it out as well.
Now if ther still exist buildup inbetween the honey comb I use pipe cleaners.. Second hint the combustion chamber n also needs cleaning I use a soft plastic hose that I duct tpe to the vac hoes and gently move it around removing all fly ash in the chamber Makes no sense to clean the cat and leave fly ash present to be drawn back into it

Thanks a million. How often do you typically clean the catalyst? I figured once a year?

You have to mind that I try to burn clean At ither the end of the season or begining and at some point in the middle same as chimney cleaning
After all we want that cat to deliver when we really need it

Status
Not open for further replies.