Cat thermometer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reaperman1

Aug 7, 2022
Minnesota
Obviously on the factory thermometer there are no numbers. Yet there are a few spaced hash lines that must represent something. Is there a given temperature that each line represents or more or less like a gas gauge on a vehicle, full tank, half tank, etc?

Obviously on the factory thermometer there are no numbers. Yet there are a few spaced hash lines that must represent something. Is there a given temperature that each line represents or more or less like a gas gauge on a vehicle, full tank, half tank, etc?
Don't be tempted to look at a condar cat meter that has numbers, and works great, and assume that the only difference is the label. When I switched to the condar I found that the BK meter would wind up tighter as it got hotter meaning that the 12 oclock position on the BK meter was lower like 10 oclock on the condar.

BK doesn't appear to want you to know the actual cat temperature. Too many questions will be asked. BK also doesn't appear to believe that there is a max not to exceed line on the cat meter. The stove design prevents overfiring of the stove or the catalyst.

Don't be tempted to look at a condar cat meter that has numbers, and works great, and assume that the only difference is the label. When I switched to the condar I found that the BK meter would wind up tighter as it got hotter meaning that the 12 oclock position on the BK meter was lower like 10 oclock on the condar.

BK doesn't appear to want you to know the actual cat temperature. Too many questions will be asked. BK also doesn't appear to believe that there is a max not to exceed line on the cat meter. The stove design prevents overfiring of the stove or the catalyst.
Thanks, I really dont care about the number too much. But was curious if those hash marks meant something other than looking cool!

So I don't have to worry about the needle going off scale? I can peg my gauge with the "throttle" at the 4:30 position frequently and have always tried to keep it from overshooting the active zone. It'd be nice if I knew for a fact there is no harm to worry about if I turn this thing up to max and not throttle back to keep it in the active zone. I asked BK in an email about this and never received a reply.

So I don't have to worry about the needle going off scale? I can peg my gauge with the "throttle" at the 4:30 position frequently and have always tried to keep it from overshooting the active zone. It'd be nice if I knew for a fact there is no harm to worry about if I turn this thing up to max and not throttle back to keep it in the active zone. I asked BK in an email about this and never received a reply.
We get this question a lot. No, there is no “max” or “redline” on the cat meter. Read your manual, there is no instruction to do anything based on that meter’s readings higher than the active/inactive line.

Reactions: MCC