Castle Serenity, tiny room, OAK or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeff2112

Aug 24, 2019
Newport Ctr, Vt
After beating my head against a wall for most of the fall trying to get a used St. Croix useable, I've "tapped out" and bought a new Castle Serenity. I installed the thimble & sealed the pipe seams today, all seems well. The room is only 225 sq/ft. Do I need an OAK? I would guess I'll need the window or door open, to keep the heat down to a reasonable level or maybe I'll start and stop as needed. If an OAK makes things more efficient, even if a window or door is open, or makes it so I don't need to leave anything open, I'll put one in. Also wondering what the best setup/settings are to keep the temps down(don't hear that everyday).

Before coming to town this morning I popped in the shop to see how the stove was doing. About 20 hours ago I filled the hopper & set the stove to manual, level 1. There's still about a 1/4 bag left and the fire is roaring. Beyond warm & toasty, I think I may have a new high score, because I rolled the thermometer over, it's reading 9 degrees. The temp is 109F. Of course it's almost 30 out, a mini heat wave. I think it's time to investigate the timer section of the manual. :D

Here’s what I used. There’s no way in the stove programming to idle it down. This seemed to work pretty well.
fyi....I have no affiliation to this product.

Attachments

• Castle Serenity, tiny room, OAK or not?
    DABA68E4-77B7-4E11-8AF9-E66C9E2AF7CF.png
    639.5 KB · Views: 167
I havent had any issues. I suppose if you dialed it down low enough it would detect a “no fire” situation...but no issues. About 30 hrs on level 1.

Got home today a bit after 6 pm, which is about 36 hours after I started the stove. The fire was out, but the room temp was still 70. Outside air was in the mid 20s today. I ordered one of the devices, interested to see how long a bag will burn. Thanks for the link.

What I've seemed to have learned is with "the device" I have to fire the stove up and let it start heating, then engage. Maybe it's common sense, but when I first got it, I'd leave the device on all the time. The stove didn't like being throttled during ignition and would go out even though the stove would start the heating cycle. Of course forgetting I'd shut the draft almost completely, may have had something to do with this issue. This morning it was a couple of degrees below zero outside and the stove had been running about 40 hours at that point. Temp in the room was 62. This is with the stove on manual, set to its lowest setting 1. I haven't made any adjustments to "the device", it's running however it was set when I received it. I'll give it 2 thumbs up.

I guess I never thought about the startup issue. I always had the stove burning, then turned it on. Good info. It will idle it down. So far I haven’t had any issues with mine. Glad things ar3 working out. I think the Serenity is more user intensive than most stoves. After I put the air adjustment rod in, it’s pretty easy to tweak it. For the price point, it’s seems pretty good.

Just got home a while ago and the stove is still going on the same bag, so I think it's close to 48 hours. 65 degrees, it was in the teens most of the day. I've had a Quadrafire Mount Vernon AE in the house for about 10(?) years, so tinkering is nothing new. I don't know if I'll put in the rod or if I need to.

you guys are making me think about getting this device. The problem i am having is that now the stove is not heating as much as it was able to do in the past.. i might need to do deep cleaning (like with abrush in the heat transfer plates and such), and buy actual good pellets.. but the notion of a bag lasting in stall1 for more than 24 hrs is rather tempting.

you guys are making me think about getting this device. The problem i am having is that now the stove is not heating as much as it was able to do in the past.. i might need to do deep cleaning (like with abrush in the heat transfer plates and such), and buy actual good pellets.. but the notion of a bag lasting in stall1 for more than 24 hrs is rather tempting.

The device certainly won’t get you any more heat. In fact just the opposite. It works by effectively reducing the amount of pellets going to the burn pot. While a bag will last longer....the heat output will be proportionally reduced. But they serve their intended purpose.
If your heat output has dropped, a deep clean would be the first step. Best of luck!