Castle Serenity feeding inconsistently - how to remove auger?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

mmcc

Dec 12, 2016
Northeast Ohio
Hi - I have a Castle Serenity that is feeding rather inconsistently. I ran the auger in diagnostic mode, and the auger motor runs as expected, the auger turns as expected, but pellets drop only intermittently. When I heat with the stove, the fire often comes close to going out.

I suspect that the auger might be gunked up with pellet dust. Are there any guides out there for how to remove the auger? I found a video on removing the auger motor, which is a good start, but I'm not sure what to do after it is off.

Thanks!
Clark

Have you checked the set screw that connects the motor to the auger. If set screw is tight I would empty hopper and run auger in diagnostic mode it should loosen any jam.

Castle Serenity and Comfortbilt use basically the same feed system.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Have you checked the set screw that connects the motor to the auger. If set screw is tight I would empty hopper and run auger in diagnostic mode it should loosen any jam.

Castle Serenity and Comfortbilt use basically the same feed system.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Set screw seems to be tight (and the head is in a position relative to the auger motor bracket that getting a hex wrench on it is being a pain).

I ran the auger in diagnostics mode for maybe an hour. It still seems to be behaving the same: auger turns, pellets feed but inconsistently.

Thanks!

I didn't end up removing the auger, but I did clean out the hopper and remove the auger motor so I could turn the auger by hand. I turned it a bunch of times in both directions until it was turning freely and cleaned out the hopper again. After reassembling, it seems to be working much better now.

Reactions: Ssyko and ARC