Castile tadpole gasket replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

mreber

Sep 24, 2024
Maryland
I have a Quadra-Fire Castile pellet stove bought in 2019. I was considering replacing the tadpole gasket on the door. The inside of the door was beginning to get a black sooty build up fairly quickly at the end of the season last year. Doing the dollar bill test, the bill pulls out pretty easily on both sides of the door when it's closed (it's pretty tight along the top). I'm not exactly sure how to remove the glass panel from the door to replace the tadpole gasket. The videos I come across online show a rod on either side of the door that has to be removed so the glass panel can be removed. My door does not have any rods to be found. There are interior trim pieces on the sides and top (shown with red arrows in attached picture). I'm not sure how these are secured in place. There are also screw threads that stick out on the front of the door (shown circled in red in attached picture). So there are screws securing something, but you need to remove the gasket to get access to them. Is anyone familiar with this stove and how to replace the tadpole gasket? Thank you for your help.
[Hearth.com] Castile tadpole gasket replacement

Reactions: Washed-Up
I'm not going to be much help I've only changed on tadpole gasket on a castle santa fe. It had the rods. The gasket on your door does not look like a tadpole gasket the weave should be finer. With that coarse thick weave that gasket looks more like a 3/4 inch rope gasket I could be wrong though.

You’re right on, it’s not a tadpole gasket! Just took a closer look and it’s regular rope. Thank you.

So I’ve learned to not blindly trust the hardware store where I purchased the pellet stove from. They looked up the model in their system and pretty much guaranteed it was a tadpole gasket. Oh well. I’d rather replace a regular rope gasket than a tadpole gasket. It looks much easier.

And I learned the owners manual is also incorrect. It references removing “rope retainer rods”, of which there are definitely none.

Should be an easy replacement.

Reactions: johneh and ARC