Cast Iron Non-Cat Stoves Available in 2024?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rowood

Oct 1, 2022
Maine
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for something pretty specific and I wonder if there’s something out there that I’m missing!

I’m looking for an all cast iron freestanding stove (no steel firebox) that is non-catalytic and available as a new stove in 2024. So far, all I’ve found is the Drolet Cape Town, which I like OK but is on the small side for my needs. I want to stay away from Vermont Castings if I can (bad prior experience, see below). Is there anything else I should look at? Bonus points for tax credit eligibility and enamel finish!

Backstory:

My family and I had a Hampton H300 in rough shape in our house when we bought it six years ago. We burned that stove without issue for four years before deciding to upgrade to something larger for more heat & longer burns. We bought a VC Defiant (didn’t do enough research!) that had a lot of issues (we couldn’t control the fire with our chimney setup and draft, too big, etc). We returned that stove for a refund & replaced it with a Jotul F45v2. The Jotul performed very well - good burn times, good heat, easy to use, clean glass - but after a few months it started to fill our house with a chemical smell. We had two dealers and the Jotul tech look at it multiple times but they could not diagnose the issue. We have two young children and didn’t feel that we could compromise on air quality, so we returned that stove as well.

In thinking through what could have been causing the issue with the Jotul, I began to wonder if there was just a smell associated with steel stoves that I couldn’t tolerate. Hence looking for a cast iron model similar to the Hampton. I’m sure there are other possible reasons for the smell but we took the following steps to diagnose:

-tested both single and double wall stove pipe
-cleaned chimney, pipe, and stove multiple times
-technician took the stove apart and checked all gaskets
-measured draft - it was strong
-used creosote remover products
-ran stove hotter and cooler to see if there was a change (none)

I would love some guidance as we look for what will be our third stove in two years!

Thank you!

There is no smell associated with a steel stove once the paint is broken in, which takes a few fires of increasing heat.

I found some people online who claimed that there was a smell that didn’t bother most people but did bother some. That echoes my experience, but I agree that it can’t be a widespread problem given the prevalence of steel stoves everywhere!

My current search for a cast stove is more about removing a variable. But if you see any other reasons for the smell I would also love to hear them!

That sounds strange. I have the F45 and have never had any smells. Only thing I could think it could be is the paint curing somewhere where it was over done? What about your hearth, what’s it made of or maybe something getting warm in the walls?

As far as other cast iron stoves go Jøtul just came out with the F445 that is all cast but it also has a catalyst with no bypass. Morso makes some nice cast iron non cats but I’m not to familiar with which ones are available anymore.

The Hampton H200 and H300 were good stoves. It's a shame they are not still sold here.

The Jotul F45 is not a pure cast iron stove. It is a steel stove at heart, with a cast iron jacket. Generally, it's a good stove, however, though rare, it is possible for a batch of paint to happen. And at least once we found a bad odor ended up being a childs little plastic army man that fell behind the stove. The other thing that can outgas is the stove pipe. Again, this can be due to a bad batch of paint.

Another line of cast iron jacketed, non-cat stoves are the Pacific Energy Alderlea stoves.

"but after a few months it started to fill our house with a chemical smell. "

That's very unusual. Usually smell complaints start from the beginning. Not all of the sudden months later.

If you don't burn often i can tell you that spider webs, and dust can cause just what you are talking about.

When i start my jotul clone after a month or more of non use i have to vacuum the top, sides, pipe adapter, and floor underneath. There is no noticeable dust or spider webs but it is there.

If i vacuum there will be no smell, if i don't it will stink up the house the for 1st day. After that it's usually ok but maybe a hint of the nasty smell.

Reactions: stoveliker
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for something pretty specific and I wonder if there’s something out there that I’m missing!

I’m looking for an all cast iron freestanding stove (no steel firebox) that is non-catalytic and available as a new stove in 2024. So far, all I’ve found is the Drolet Cape Town, which I like OK but is on the small side for my needs. I want to stay away from Vermont Castings if I can (bad prior experience, see below). Is there anything else I should look at? Bonus points for tax credit eligibility and enamel finish!

Backstory:

My family and I had a Hampton H300 in rough shape in our house when we bought it six years ago. We burned that stove without issue for four years before deciding to upgrade to something larger for more heat & longer burns. We bought a VC Defiant (didn’t do enough research!) that had a lot of issues (we couldn’t control the fire with our chimney setup and draft, too big, etc). We returned that stove for a refund & replaced it with a Jotul F45v2. The Jotul performed very well - good burn times, good heat, easy to use, clean glass - but after a few months it started to fill our house with a chemical smell. We had two dealers and the Jotul tech look at it multiple times but they could not diagnose the issue. We have two young children and didn’t feel that we could compromise on air quality, so we returned that stove as well.

In thinking through what could have been causing the issue with the Jotul, I began to wonder if there was just a smell associated with steel stoves that I couldn’t tolerate. Hence looking for a cast iron model similar to the Hampton. I’m sure there are other possible reasons for the smell but we took the following steps to diagnose:

-tested both single and double wall stove pipe
-cleaned chimney, pipe, and stove multiple times
-technician took the stove apart and checked all gaskets
-measured draft - it was strong
-used creosote remover products
-ran stove hotter and cooler to see if there was a change (none)

I would love some guidance as we look for what will be our third stove in two years!

Thank you!
I would suggest the Jotul oslo f500. I'm not sure what would have caused the smells you experienced . this is a true cast iron stove without a steel firebox like some others have.

I would suggest the Jotul oslo f500. I'm not sure what would have caused the smells you experienced . this is a true cast iron stove without a steel firebox like some others have.
It's a cat stove. The OP requested non-cats.

Aspen C3 but it’s small.

Used market may be your best bet. f500v2. F400.