Capacitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stubbers

Jan 31, 2020
Florida
Can anyone tell me where I can find a replacement capacitor for my Vogelzang TR004 Colonial fireplace insert. They want $400 for a blower and I just need the capacitor. TIA

Is this really a capacitor start motor? They are usually not on small shaded pole motors.

DigiKey is usually the easiest for one-time credit card orders. If you get a photo I can help you pick a replacement.

Did you test the capacitor? Why do you believe this is the issue?

Reactions: Mech e
Believe it or not, Amazon probably has one to match. Just need the rating.

Post a good close up of the old one (with text legible if it's electrolytic which it probably is) and we'll link you a bunch of them, knowing this crowd. ;)

begreen, could be a DC motor and the cap is part of the rectifier circuit? Or an old brushes-and-windings AC one.

begreen, could be a DC motor and the cap is part of the rectifier circuit? Or an old brushes-and-windings AC one.
On a cheap Chinese stove? That would be surprising. A start cap is unnecessary on a small motor.

Could be a run cap. Pretty common an HVAC condenser and evaporator motors.
And on 1/24 or 1/15hp fan motors? Maybe, though I have not seen one.

Reactions: Mech e
On a cheap Chinese stove? That would be surprising. A start cap is unnecessary on a small motor.
Depends on motor type, and size isn’t always an indicator of type. But yes, most small fan motors are shaded pole designs, and don’t usually use any capacitor. I suppose you could use a cap in the aux winding, to improve the phase shift and provide more torque, but I can’t imagine any manufacturer adding that cost to a cheap fan motor.

My dad had a 1950s(?) drill with an all-steel body (and no ground) that had a start capacitor. The windings on that thing looked like they were 16 gauge wire.

@Stubbers , you sure its a cap and not a thermal protection/overload device?
They typically look something like this:
1580574179977.png

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
A picture would really help.