Cap discoloration?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acritzer

May 10, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Is it a problem that my chimney cap has gotten discolored? Does it indicate anything specific?

Cap discoloration?

Is it a problem that my chimney cap has gotten discolored? Does it indicate anything specific?

View attachment 288005
My Selkirk supervent Stainless cap and pipe directly under the cap will discolor after some use- looks very similar to the discoloration chrome exhaust pipes get on a bike with the exception that the cap and pipe will be bright and shiny again after a summer of non-use. Yours looks darker/browner than what I get, perhaps a different base material?

When was it cleaned last? It looks like it was many seasons ago. If there's a screen in it, you need to determine how plunged up it is.

Looks fine to me, screen looks clear, discoloration is normal, just a little bit of the creosote condensing on the cap as it cools.

My cap gets nice and shiny in the summer with the rain cleaning it off, but as soon as burning season starts it look like that.

Assuming we are talking about the left one, the right one looks a bit darker and sooty.