Cant hook question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColoradoJim

Jun 23, 2024
Colorado
I recently purchased a Logrite cant hook and got the chance to use a few days ago. This thing is definitely going to be a game changer for moving logs around. My question has to do with the most effective use of the tool. I mostly pulled the logs toward me. A few I had to push away from me just because of how the logs were laying. So is there a best way to use this tool? Push or pull? Thanks!

Pulling seems to provide more leverage. But when the point pops out on a big log and you almost take a spill, then it's time to push because you have more control. But if it's a big heavy one you almost have no choice but to pull - I look for some deformity/hole in the log where I know the hook's point won't pop out when I lean back hard.

Reactions: ColoradoJim
I find I push or pull based on the situation (like not wanting to pull a big log towards me off the pile). But generally I prefer to "push" but in reality I get a lower bite and its more like a lift. Then I can nudge it over in a few pulls as opposed to one big go.