Cant connect my stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jfreeman

Jan 2, 2020
Washington
I have a free standing wood stove that was in the cabin when I moved in. I'm trying to fix all the leaks. The chimney pipes says it's (simpson) duratech dura-vent. After tons of research I finally figured out what model it was etc etc. My issue is the gas pipe going through the wall is with the male end indoors. As far As I can tell all the pipe connectors for class A pipe to single wall stove pipe are male side out. So am I going to have to dismantle this entire thing and flip all the pipes around? Or is there another option. I've spent weeks looking online. Here is pics of the only tags I could find. I can't find any matching part number anywhere. Some similar ones. I just want to connect the wall pipe to the stove pipe nothing fancy. No bells and whistles. No smoke in my cabin and heat is all I want And no there is not a data plate on the stove. Don't wanna here about that either lol it's cold and I live alone.

Cant connect my stove pipe Cant connect my stove pipe

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like 12" direct vent (gas) stove or fireplace pipe. A wood stove can't be connected to it. It is not rated for a wood stove. Did they foam all around this pipe too? That is another red flag.

The foam is on the outside wall and interior. It's that fire resistant stuff I guess they decided not to finish the job. Foam doesn't work anyways. Fiberglass does. So the vent pipe I've tracked down wich has take forever because the sku number doesn't exist anymore since simpson became simply duravent only. And the changes the product style. It's a class A all fuel system. The diagrams show that it's installed correctly but I can't find a finish plate or anything for it. To top it off apparently when this thing was new it wasn't required to have a walk thimble just this bracket thing. So I got a big ads pipe that's rated for 2"clearance just basically sitting in the wall with what appears to be aluminum brackets. Up side is its compatable with duravent product BUT the new style has the twist locks facing the other direction. I'm very close to welding my own universal pipe out of all the double wall pipe aroubd here and using a snap lock pipe and adaptor to connect the system.

That looks like 12" direct vent (gas) stove or fireplace pipe. A wood stove can't be connected to it. It is not rated for a wood stove. Did they foam all around this pipe too? That is another red flag.
I forgot to mention the 6x12 pipe length is connected

I forgot to mention the 6x12 pipe length is connected
Hit enter on accident lol
The 6x12 is connected to the all fuel pipe running male end to interior. The double wall that's connected to it also has a heat sheild wrapped around it. It's a redneck stove what can I say lol

Hit enter on accident lol
The 6x12 is connected to the all fuel pipe running male end to interior. The double wall that's connected to it also has a heat sheild wrapped around it. It's a redneck stove what can I say lol
If a wood stove is running through that pipe it is unsafe to use

I'm relieved to hear that the goal is to do this right. There are specific code and safety requirements for passing through a wall, even with proper class A chimney pipe. DuraVent makes a wall thimble for their DuraTech chimney pipe, part 6DTC-WTI that maintains the proper clearances from combustibles.

Reactions: Smolder
What begreen said. And that foam is combustible it can't be there