Canadian chimney liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jp_burns

Jul 14, 2019
Ottawa, Canada
Hi folks,

I've been scouring these forums for information over the past few months and found great info, but there is one I haven't been able to figure out: which chimney flex liner to use.

I've been using a Drolet Legend as a replacement for a previous owner's gutted regency stove, and it exhausts through an outside masonry chimney. Works ok, but it's hard on cold starts, as you would expect with no liner. I'm going to be redoing the basement, so long story short, I figure I could install one, but many of the brands discussed on this forum seem unavailable up here in Canada. I've narrowed it down to a few that I know I can buy: any advice as to what is better, or if there is any difference?
- Selkirk "SuperVent" flex liner, 0.006" 316TI
- SBI Vortex flex liner, 304SS
- Rockford's round flex liner, 0.006" 316TI

Any Canadian also known what insulation is available? Stores don't sell it, so I'll probably use rockford's insulation because it's pretty hard to get any without being a contractor... but with conversion rates, it ain't cheap!

Hi folks,

I've been scouring these forums for information over the past few months and found great info, but there is one I haven't been able to figure out: which chimney flex liner to use.

I've been using a Drolet Legend as a replacement for a previous owner's gutted regency stove, and it exhausts through an outside masonry chimney. Works ok, but it's hard on cold starts, as you would expect with no liner. I'm going to be redoing the basement, so long story short, I figure I could install one, but many of the brands discussed on this forum seem unavailable up here in Canada. I've narrowed it down to a few that I know I can buy: any advice as to what is better, or if there is any difference?
- Selkirk "SuperVent" flex liner, 0.006" 316TI
- SBI Vortex flex liner, 304SS
- Rockford's round flex liner, 0.006" 316TI

Any Canadian also known what insulation is available? Stores don't sell it, so I'll probably use rockford's insulation because it's pretty hard to get any without being a contractor... but with conversion rates, it ain't cheap!
Most major liner brands are ulc listed as well. What ever liner you use you need to use the insulation listed for use with that product. I prefer thicker liners than the .005 or .006 liners. We use at minimum the midweight liners that are .010. but more often heavy wall that is .014 or .015. those also have the benefit of being smooth wall

bholler, you bring two good points.

A smooth wall liner would be great but I got the impression that the heavywall flex liners wouldn't play well with the gentle angle (10-15 degrees) I have near the bottom end of the chimney. Would that not be a problem?

Interesting, I hadn't figured that you had to stick to the same insulation brand from reading the manuals, but it makes sense from a liability perspective. Is it relevant even if it's in a chimney which would not *need* insulation to satisfy code?

bholler, you bring two good points.

A smooth wall liner would be great but I got the impression that the heavywall flex liners wouldn't play well with the gentle angle (10-15 degrees) I have near the bottom end of the chimney. Would that not be a problem?

Interesting, I hadn't figured that you had to stick to the same insulation brand from reading the manuals, but it makes sense from a liability perspective. Is it relevant even if it's in a chimney which would not *need* insulation to satisfy code?
Heavy wall and midweight liners are actually more flexible than light wall and have no memory. And if you are using insulation with a listed liner system it needs to be insulation listed for use with that system regardless. And besides most chimneys require insulation to meet code anyway.