Can you do a long slow burn with an old Blaze King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

bobanne

Oct 15, 2024
WY, USA
Hey, new to stoves. I've found an older Blaze King and I am wondering if it has the capability to do a long burn similar to the current models?

The one I'm looking at looks like this photo, minus the vent and logo near the top.

[Hearth.com] Can you do a long slow burn with an old Blaze King?

Ask if it has a cat. If not, then you can't do a long low and slow burn.

I just found another one: PMJ 202 - I read the manual online but can't tell if it has a catalyst. The Google AI says it is a catalytic stove, but I don't trust the AI without verification.

[Hearth.com] Can you do a long slow burn with an old Blaze King?

more pictures of the PMJ-202 attached

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Can you do a long slow burn with an old Blaze King?
    left.webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
    top rear.webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
    closed.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
    back and left.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 1
    lable.webp
    47 KB · Views: 2
    open.webp
    116.5 KB · Views: 2
    right side.webp
    84.2 KB · Views: 3
    stove top.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 1
According to the manual, the PMJ-202 was a non-cat, old school stove.
Ask if it has a cat. If not, then you can't do a long low and slow burn.
Sort of, though actually you could in the old pre-cat BKs. They still had a thermostat. The downside was that it could be a dirty, smoldering burn. Those stoves have a really big belly so a full load of wood could smolder for 14+ hrs. with good wood.

Reactions: bobanne
Yes, you can do a lot, but without the cat, the smoldering will close off your flue in a few weeks if you do this consistently...
And at some point you may have to chemically clean your chimney. (at a few thousand dollars...)

To me that equates "no you can't"...

Though they did, some pretty often. No chemicals used. The solution was often to run the stove hot once a month and burn the crap out.

Yes, but I thought here we don't give advice based on practices that are now deemed poor and unsafe...?

Not advice, just an observation.

The other stove is a KT 302, so at least as old as the Princess I think. Neither appear to be UL listed. After reading this and other threads we are leaning towards either forking out for a new BK Ashford 20.2 or compromising with something like a Drolet Escape 1200.

The other stove is a KT 302, so at least as old as the Princess I think. Neither appear to be UL listed. After reading this and other threads we are leaning towards either forking out for a new BK Ashford 20.2 or compromising with something like a Drolet Escape 1200.
That's a better plan. Note that the BK 20/30 series includes less expensive models as well. They have the same internals. Also, a BK 30 stove can run low and slow like the BK 20. It just burns for a longer time.

Yes, compare the lowest BTU outputs of the 20 and 30 models; they're similar. The duration they can do that is different though.

If you have the physical space, get the 30 model - IF you go this route.

Reactions: GG Woody

Trending content