Can water condensate on thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
Twice since we got hammered by rain and wind last weekend we've found water on the floor under our thimble. It looks like it's coming from around the adapter plug in our 8" thimble. We also do not have a chimney cap of any kind. Could water condensate on the inside of the chimney and come in that way? The liquid we find after it has already dropped is very thin, which makes me think it isn't creosote. We are hoping this isn't creosote, but a soot eater is happening soon. The chimney is about 25-ish feet tall masonry with 8x8 ish tile liner. The thimble, as seen in the photo, is in rough shape. I would like to replace this soon after I recover from this holiday season.

Ideally next season I would like to replace the single wall with double wall. Maybe in the next two years I can put a nice 6" liner inside my clay tile liner. Our house has a lot of issues, so our income is mostly going to that. Can water condensate on thimble? Can water condensate on thimble?

The clay tile is capable of making lots of condensation. Why don’t you have a cap? That’s certainly not helping things....

Lots of rain and no cap. Jeeze, what could it be? Just get a cheap slip on cap, Wont take much.

Can water condensate on thimble?

House didn't have a cap when we got here, and the house is a salt box with a steep roof. I am also lacking a ladder tall enough, so one thing at a time. Thank you for the replies, my wife was scared, but it just seemed like water to me.