can there be too much flame in the firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodslinger

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
southern ill
After reload, air control stays open for a while then back down. I noticed that flames completely fill firebox and curl around baffle. Can they be too high and cause chimney fires?

This is a new insert installation, is that correct? Are you seeing jets of fire coming from the secondary burn tubes? If yes, as long as you are burning dry wood and close down the air control once the fire is established, it sounds like things are working like they should be. A stove thermometer is helpful to know how hot the stove is getting .

Alberta Burner said:
Start with this:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/default.asp?lang=En&n=8011CD70-1

Then I suggest doing a bit of reading about the causes of chimney fires, it is not too much flame, kinda the opposite really. There is so much great information on this site, it has really taught me how to operate my stove.

Welcome aboard.

Direct Link to Video

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/videosWoodstove_mgt-Eng.wmv

Please test your links after posting them to ensure they are not broken.
Here's the correct link to the Vanessa video:
http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/videos/Woodstove_mgt-Eng.wmv

woodslinger said:
After reload, air control stays open for a while then back down. I noticed that flames completely fill firebox and curl around baffle. Can they be too high and cause chimney fires?

Kind of shocking to see at first isn't it . . . flames everywhere, jets of fire coming out of the secondary burner tubes, vivid orange and blue "Northern Lights" at the top of the firebox . . . lots of heat pumping out from the stove . . . almost makes one wonder to themselves, "What have I done? Am I about to burn down my house?"

Rest assured . . . the massive amount of flames in the firebox, blue fire jets streaming from the secondary burn tubes or the "Northern Lights" effect filling the upper 1/3 of your fire box is normal and actually a good thing . . . it means you're getting heat, burning correctly and chances are your wood is nice and dry (if you had a fire with little to none of these things (the flames, Northern Lights, jet fire) or a fire that was nearly snuffed out when you cut back on the air there is a good chance you would be burning incorrectly or with unseasoned wood and would in fact be producing lots of creosote.)

Now there can be such a thing as too much fire . . . I can think of two cases. Example 1: You have a firebox full of flames . . . but you fail to cut back on the air which simply sends most of the heat up the flue which results in lost heat and at the same time you risk an over-firing situation and Example 2: You pack your firebox with small kindling and pallets and touch it off which can result in an over-fire situation due to the type of fuel (size, wood species and dry ness).

From the sound of it, you seem to be doing everything right.

Status
Not open for further replies.