Can I use universal high-quality grease as a bevel gear grease for a weed eater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Hi, there is a specific Husqvarna bevel gear grease that the dealer recommends. Can I use the regular universal synthetic gear grease from HD? I'm wondering if paying just for the branding.

I'm embarrassed, but I never greased the bevel gear for 8 years using it. Just saw the Husqvarna bevel grease at the shop and found that it had to be regularly maintained. Should I be looking for a new part? I have a Husqvarna 327 rj 25 cc, 1. hp trimmer that I used a lot around the property.

I would just grease it and use it. It will let you know when it's ready to go. Gears tend to bark a bit before they fail.

Reactions: Dmitry
Here's the complicated answer. The Husqvarna bevel grease is a lithium/calcium complex grease in NGLI 0.

So the Husqvarna grease is thinner at a #0, as a normal multipurpose or axle grease is a #2. Greases get thicker as the number increases, they start at 000 and go to 6.

A thicker grease will likely put a slight bit more load on the engine turning it, at least until it heats up and thins out.

Does it really matter though? Probably not.

Can I use universal high-quality grease as a bevel gear grease for a weed eater?

Reactions: Dmitry
Here's the complicated answer. The Husqvarna bevel grease is a lithium/calcium complex grease in NGLI 0.

So the Husqvarna grease is thinner at a #0, as a normal multipurpose or axle grease is a #2. Greases get thicker as the number increases, they start at 000 and go to 6.

A thicker grease will likely put a slight bit more load on the engine turning it, at least until it heats up and thins out.

Does it really matter though? Probably not.

View attachment 327695

Nice, very informative

I have 2 Stihls, the newest is over 25 years old and we use them a lot. Can't say I grease them religiously but I made a plug with a grease fitting in it and when I think of it I put that plug in and give them a pump. Seems to be working for me.