Can I use same direct vent system through wall with different type of gas stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crozetian

Dec 31, 2022
Crozet, va
When I bought my home 5 years ago, it had two empire propane direct vent wall units. I removed one because it blocked a door opening partially. Now I want to install a freestanding propane stove near the same place. I left the exterior direct vent setup in place and am wondering if I can now use the same vent setup with a new, different type of propane stove (something like a Vermont castings Radiance, for example). The only trouble i see is that I’ll need a stove that vents through the back rather than the top as the hole through my wall was low to accommodate the wall unit that was already there. What do you think?

When I bought my home 5 years ago, it had two empire propane direct vent wall units. I removed one because it blocked a door opening partially. Now I want to install a freestanding propane stove near the same place. I left the exterior direct vent setup in place and am wondering if I can now use the same vent setup with a new, different type of propane stove (something like a Vermont castings Radiance, for example). The only trouble i see is that I’ll need a stove that vents through the back rather than the top as the hole through my wall was low to accommodate the wall unit that was already there. What do you think?
Every gas appliance will have an installation manual that clearly states which venting pipe is acceptable for use with the respective appliance. You must only use what the manual states.