Can I enclose my chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

larryjbjr

Jan 24, 2017
WI
OK, due to the way my house is built, I am not able to run the chimney inside or I would be taking away precious space from areas where there is very little space to spare. So I had to run it outside the house.

As I understand it running it outside causes poor draft due to the fact that the chimney is being cooled by the elements.

Next month I am planning to remove all my siding from my house and put up 3/4" foam board insulation, hoping next summer to be able to afford to put new siding on the house. So I was thinking, could I just build an enclosure around the chimney? Taking care, of course, to maintain proper clearance from the chimney.

For what it's worth, the chimney is the 6" supervent from Menards. So it only requires a 2 inch clearance, though I was thinking of leaving around 6 inches of clearance.

Seems like that would at least help shield it from the wind.

Just not sure if that would be safe to do. What do y'all think?

Just not sure if that would be safe to do. What do y'all think?
It is perfectly fine as long as you maintain atleast that 2". And they do work fine outside without an enclosure. To me the main benifit of inside is the lack of a tee which a tee on a top vent stove adds 2 90 degree turns. Yes it will stay warmer inside as well but the chimneys are insulated pretty well so the elbows are more of a concern for me