Can I cut the pool cover and use it as a tarp? Concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
There is a huge 50 by 50 pool cover on a Facebook marketplace. Can I cut it and cover my wood? My concern is that it's going to disintegrate on edges that are not finished.

Someone gave me there old pool cover. I cut it up and top cover on single pallets. Then wrap the tarp with that plastic stretchy stuff. The edges do get frayed. But under the stretchy plastic they stay put. If you could possibly hem the edges?

Reactions: fbelec
Someone gave me there old pool cover. I cut it up and top cover on single pallets. Then wrap the tarp with that plastic stretchy stuff. The edges do get frayed. But under the stretchy plastic they stay put. If you could possibly hem the edges?
Would be too much work. Maybe I can spray with adhesive, so it's gonna hold it together?

They make tarp gromets for this, makes for a strong edge.

Frayed edges will, inevitably, produce a lot of small plastic pieces (1/16" wide strips) that will break off and pollute the crap out of your property and beyond.

I would not want that.

Why? Between the Glue and Grommits you can just get tarp made for pallets.
The challenge I guess, now a rubber pool liner would be interesting to re-purpose

I store wood on a row of pallets that are 20 ft long and 4 ft wide. Long runs would be nice, probably makes sense just to buy proper size tarps at HFT. Should I go with heavy-duty or just light-duty and throw them away? What is your experience?
Here are the tarps at HFT, which one you would go with?

The cheaper tarps at HF only last me 2-3 years at most. That’s the green, blue, and camo tarps. Out of those 3 I've had the best luck with the camo.

I’m too damn cheap to try any of the nicer ones.

Some out of the box thinker on here uses $2 bath curtains... (Forgot who)

Reactions: fbelec
i got to try the bath curtains. that's a great idea. now if they don't get affected by the sun they should last. i get 2 years out of a cheap tarp. so i've been using the black roll of plastic at lowes or the depot. 6 mil thick. wood dry's well under the black. this year i have 2 pool covers covering pallets and they are so brittle i got a 2 foot slice in one from the wind. had to black plastic under the tarp under the rip.

Reactions: stoveliker
Some out of the box thinker on here uses $2 bath curtains... (Forgot who)
I remember that. What was the store the guy got it from?

I remember that. What was the store the guy got it from?

I seem to remember something that I've been hesitant to note (because it doesn't seem like the type of store most here would go to. And I thought it was an expensive store - but I have not been there in 8 years, so maybe something changed and they have cheaper stuff now too). Bed bath and beyond...?

Or maybe my memory is wrong - which is a more likely explanation...

I seem to recall that member @Dix uses shower curtains from the Dollar Store or something similar. Let’s see what she has to say.

Lady's memories always beat mine. At least at home, and apparently here too :)

Thanks!

Not a new photo but here are a variety of cover solutions. The black plastic is hung over bent electrical conduit. It acts like a kiln, so quick drying, but snow builds up on it in the winter and stretches the plastic down. Its ag plastic and this is its last year after 3 years.

The red metal roofing is the way to go, I bought it scrap at home center. When metal roofing is shipped they ship it with scrap pieces of roofing and its either set aside or thrown away. There is not much tilt to it but the snow does slide off after a couple of warm days. Its supported by scrap wood screwed to the end of the firewood. The stack up on front to the right is the same setup except its an old signboard. The stack in front of the black plastic is a layer of old pallets on top of the wood, then old galvanized farmhouse roofing laid lengthwise with a layer pallets on top to keep the wind from blowing the roofing off. It holds the snow a lot longer than the red and white roofs.

I never intentionally cover the top of a stack directly with anything waterproof. IMO a stack needs to breath to get rid of moisture. Laying pallets on top will work as long as the ends are open to allow airflow.

Can I cut the pool cover and use it as a tarp? Concerns

Intek pools have very strong material. I've been using some of that for a decade.

The best is metal correlated panels. Look for used ones. They last a lifetime.

I seem to recall that member @Dix uses shower curtains from the Dollar Store or something similar. Let’s see what she has to say.

Yes, I do.

I got tired of shredded tarps. Even @ $1.25 now from Dollar Tree, if they shred, I'm fine with it.

I average 2-3 years with them.

Last edited:
I'd say that depends on the cover. If it is a safety cover (we have one for our pool) it is really just a mesh and will allow the water through. Some of the regular covers are more like a tarp and some are kind of like bubble wrap. I'd imagine that the tarp kind and the bubble wrap kind would be ok. The bubble wrap kind would probably be the first to go bad.

I store wood on a row of pallets that are 20 ft long and 4 ft wide. Long runs would be nice, probably makes sense just to buy proper size tarps at HFT. Should I go with heavy-duty or just light-duty and throw them away? What is your experience?
Here are the tarps at HFT, which one you would go with?

Pretty much all I use are the green tarps from Harbor Freight and they are cheap...like $8ish for a 11x15' I think? Then just folded a few times to fit single stacks. My oldest one is from 2016 and yes it's torn up and looking rough now - It will be thrown out and replaced once I get to that stack later this winter. Still, pretty dang good run for a $8 tarp. They will last a while like that if you keep a layer of junk wood over the top of them.

Is that the one ?
Are they holding up in a sun. Some of the cheap clear plastic I've ordered from Amazon just disintegrated in pieces after a year.
Can you cut them to size ?

Yep, that's them.

Sun isn't bad, you can actually see the moisture baking out of the wood, as the season progresses (I top cover, always, once it's stacked).

Some will snag & get a tear, then I just use them for covering the uglies, the kindling, etc, until they die.