Can I convert gas insert to wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Copper44

Oct 26, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Is there clear things to look for to tell if I can change a gas insert into a wood insert or wood stove?
Far as I can tell it probably only has the liners for gas inserts. But the top does look like a regular clay flue.

Can I convert gas insert to wood? Can I convert gas insert to wood? Can I convert gas insert to wood? Can I convert gas insert to wood?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok the fireplace looks like a regular zero clearance unit. But it looks like a solid glass front wich would mean gas only. But the chimney looks like a masonry structure. What you have makes no sense to me at all. Have you had a pro look at it yet?

Ok the fireplace looks like a regular zero clearance unit. But it looks like a solid glass front wich would mean gas only. But the chimney looks like a masonry structure. What you have makes no sense to me at all. Have you had a pro look at it yet?

I have not. Just starting to talk myself into doing this all over again...renovated a house got a nice PE insert to only need more bedrooms... so this new house the original owners had requested wood burning and not sure if the builder just had 2 of these laying around and pulled a quick one or what.

Problem is I am not sure of a competent installer near me. The dealer I bought the PE from I wouldn’t trust on a install at all.

I switched ours over: masonry firebox, smoke chamber, tile flue. I removed the gas logs and capped the gas line. Guy from the gas company was outside changing the gas meter soon after, and I asked about cutting the gas line. He said he is licensed and can do it. Came over on Saturday and cut out a section in the basement, threaded and capped the pipes.

The gas line also ran to the gas log FP in our bedroom above the den FP. It just means I can't use that FP, but I never have anyway.

Mine was very easy. It wasn't a modern gas insert. Just a 1990 fake gas log display in the masonry firebox and glass door..

I switched ours over: masonry firebox, smoke chamber, tile flue. I removed the gas logs and capped the gas line. Guy from the gas company was outside changing the gas meter soon after, and I asked about cutting the gas line. He said he is licensed and can do it. Came over on Saturday and cut out a section in the basement, threaded and capped the pipes.

The gas line also ran to the gas log FP in our bedroom above the den FP. It just means I can't use that FP, but I never have anyway.

Do you still have a meter? If not you should have the gas company come back out and abandon the service at the main. Services abandoned at the meter/house are at risk for being damaged during excavation

Still have a meter. The furnaces and the water heater are gas. I think the gas company still wants me to pay for gas. :)

Cooktop is also gas. Can also make coffee and cook with the gas cooktop during power outages. Just have to light it with a match. My percolator coffee must be the worst coffee in the world! :)

Nice having the gas water heater and cooktop. We've lost power several times due to ice storms of late season heavy snow taking down branches/trees onto power lines. Lost power for a few days with an ice storm several years ago. I finally had to take a shower since I'd been shoveling snow. Water was still hot and shower was o.k. I first thought that the water heater must just be well insulated. Went in the basement, and the water heater kicked on. Very surprised and pleased.

This is going to take some on site inspecting. Have a pro come out and inspect the flue to see if it is masonry all the way down to the stove or not. What the pictures show sure looks like a zero clearance unit. The chimney structure looks like a masonry fireplace, but maybe it is only a veneer?

Reactions: bholler
This is going to take some on site inspecting. Have a pro come out and inspect the flue to see if it is masonry all the way down to the stove or not. What the pictures show sure looks like a zero clearance unit. The chimney structure looks like a masonry fireplace, but maybe it is only a veneer?

Should I be able to tell if I get up on the roof and look down the flue? I mean if its clay flue with 2 liners coming up it then it should a full functional masonry chimney correct?

Should I be able to tell if I get up on the roof and look down the flue? I mean if its clay flue with 2 liners coming up it then it should a full functional masonry chimney correct?
Chimney yes, possibly, but it would still need a full and proper masonry fireplace for an insert. While checking measure the ID of the flue tile.

So if its not could I put a free standing stove in front and then go up through with class a pipe?
Possibly. We dont know what you have it looks odd so we cant give you many answers