Can I convert Direct to Natural

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DIYMom

Sep 25, 2019
CA
Hi all! I couldn't take my 1960's fake rock fireplace any longer and took a hammer to it. We currently have a wood burning firebox that was converted to a direct fire vent over 20 years ago by previous owner. I thought this would be the opportune time to get rid of the current insert (the blower is malfunctioning and it's just old) and replace with a standard match lit gas log set. We are in California and it doesn't get very cold, but we do enjoy the fire on a daily basis in the winters. I want this to be a cost effective (who doesn't?) project and I can do all the wood work, tile work etc. I am also confident enough to install gas logs. I've remodeled bathroom top to bottom and other lofty projects on my own.
This is my issue. I do not want to replace with another direct gas insert. They are pricey and I don't enjoy the look. If you notice in my pics, the installer fed two tubes up the original chimney. This is what I want to know....Can I remove both flex tubes and restore back to the original chimney and utilize the wood firebox for simple gas logs. I also included what is coming out of the roof because I am assuming they also changed the top to accommodate the direct vent? Or can that top remain..
I've been to two local fireplace shops asking and of course their solutions are to tear everything down and have entire new system. Costing many thousands. (I get this a lot as a woman sadly). I'd prefer to use old chimney and firebox and not waste.
Any and all comments, suggestions, tips would be much appreciated. I am so grateful to find this forum!
OH and boy do I wish I could utilize a vent free set. I've learned this week they are illegal in my state! BOOOO

Can I convert Direct to NaturalCan I convert Direct to NaturalCan I convert Direct to NaturalCan I convert Direct to NaturalCan I convert Direct to NaturalCan I convert Direct to NaturalCan I convert Direct to NaturalCan I convert Direct to Natural

Why on earth would you want to get rid of that insert? It’s a nice, quality piece. I didn’t know VF was illegal in CA, but I can’t imagine preferring a VF, they smell bad, often make too much heat for the space they are in, and are questionable for your health. Just for starters...
Your chimney and fireplace have been modified to the point, especially considering it’s age, it’s no longer usable except in its current condition. Your damper and cap are both missing and are no longer available.

Reactions: DIYMom
Thanks for answering my question regarding the chimney. I had a feeling it wasn't feasible to turn back to a natural vent.
If I could ask you another question, do you know if it's difficult to repair or replace blower's on this type of insert? It makes a funny noise and isn't blowing well.

It’s typically just full of dust. Especially if you have pets. The blowers need removed and cleaned.

Reactions: DIYMom