Can i connect a stove with 6" exhaust to a 8" chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Can i connect a stove with 6" exhaust to a 8" chimney liner?
What does the stove manual say? Unless the stove manual allows it technically it is against code but lots of people do it. Sometimes it works fine. Other times it causes problems

What does the stove manual say? Unless the stove manual allows it technically it is against code but lots of people do it. Sometimes it works fine. Other times it causes problems

i don't have the stove yet....

the story is, i have a pellet stove and it is acting up and it's kinda old and the parts are expensive and I'm thinking about switching back to wood.

currently the pellet stove is connected to an 8" liner.

the newer and more efficient wood stoves seem to have 6" exhaust. so i'm wondering if I got a wood stove with the 6" would I be able to connect it to my 8" liner or would i have to put a whole new liner in.

so I don't have one picked out yet. but I want a newer and more efficient stove.

thanks