Can I burn without a Combustion Block?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark9740

Jan 17, 2016
Airville, Pa
I am new to the wood burning community and recently acquired a 2010 Lopi Leyden for free on Craigslist. To make a long story short, I just realized the front half of the combustion block is completely in chunks and falling out into the fire box. (I removed the brick to move the stove) Since I'm only heating a small 700 sq ft cabin, I'm thinking I can still burn it since the back part of the block is still intact with the small holes quite visible. I'm giving up efficiency but again, for 700 sq ft, I shouldn't need to run it that hot. Does anyone see any safety issues with burning it in this condition? The blocks appear to be $200 online but to my thinking, may not be necessary to heat such a small space. Thanks.

Are you talking about firebrick? If so uou can get it at farm stores.

Are you talking about firebrick? If so uou can get it at farm stores.
I wish it was that easy. No, I've got the manual and its a special manufactured "block" with holes and diverters to ensure an efficient secondary burn of the gases in a back chamber Feels light, similar to an asbestos product, only safe. Thanks for weighing in.

Ok well I have no clue sorry.

You most likely need the refractory fireback as well as the combustion package that's behind the scenes. It'll be more than $200 for all the parts.

If the wall behind the stove is solid masonry then I think you'll be fine.
Otherwise, the back of the stove could get way too hot unless you are
Planning to leave the bypass open..

Webby3650,
I do have the refractory fireback but again, the Combustor Pack is only partially intact. I like your suggestion though of just operating it with the bypass open for now to mininize gases and heat to the back chamber. Ultimately, I'll need to get everything complete but for the time being, just looking to take the chill off during weekend excursions. Thanks again!

Reactions: fitter9
Be careful not to run big fires in it with bypass open. You could damage that as well.

Sounds like a failed ceramic catalytic combustor. Check the Condar site, where you can probably pick it up for half of dealer price. Yes, you'll want it installed, as it's the only way to really keep your chimney cool and clean at low burn rates. Many cat stoves are a little cantankerous to run without the combustor installed.

Sounds like a failed ceramic catalytic combustor. Check the Condar site, where you can probably pick it up for half of dealer price. Yes, you'll want it installed, as it's the only way to really keep your chimney cool and clean at low burn rates. Many cat stoves are a little cantankerous to run without the combustor installed.
It's a non-cat. Pretty much the same thing as a non-cat Vermont Castings. These stoves are plagued with failure..

Down Draft, yuck.

See if you can piece the combustion brick back together with furnace cement as a temporary fix and see if it works. I would plan on putting in a new combustion brick and go over the entire stove, when you see one piece go usually other pieces of refractory like the combustor pack will fail as well.

Good thing you got it for free.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.