Can double wall stove pipe go through masonry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodfire2019

Dec 27, 2019
DC
A friend is having an installer say they can't send double-wall stove pipe through the wall of their masonry chimney before hooking it up to the liner. There are obviously many adapters on the market to do this (included linked below), but his installer is saying you can not do this. Are we missing something here?

Double-wall stove pipe can not pass through a wall. It is only for use in the room. A wall thimble is a common way to transition, but we need more specifics to know if that is the best option. If there is 12" to the nearest combustible all around then a simple clay thimble (crock) may suffice.

I'm new here and I realize this original post is a few years old, but I have the very same situation, trying to find an adapter that will let me connect 6" double wall (Dura Vent) to my masonry chimney.

Woodfire2019 was kind enough to post a link to what looks to be exactly what I need. However, the link to Woodland Direct does not show this product in 2023. Does anyone know if these - double wall pipe to masonry chimney- adapters are still available from anywhere??
Thanks in advance.

Here is a current link but I don't know if this adapter mates nicely with DuraVent DVL pipe. Call and ask.