Can baffle be shortened to make stove draw more?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Portsider

Oct 10, 2016
Port Hardy
I have a new Flame Energy wood stove. It is 6" with an adapter right were it comes out of the top that takes it up to 8" then up to a 90 and out to Stainless chimney. My old 8" stove didn't blow back and seemed to draw better. Wondering if i can shorten the front of the baffle to get it to draw better?

Port

Don't do that. Shortening the baffle will not help. With cooler weather this should get better. If more draft is needed address it with the flue. The issue sounds like the short vertical stub before going horizontal. Ideally you want at least 18" and preferably 36" before going horizontal. How long is the horizontal run and is it pitched up toward the chimney at least 1?4" per foot?

Can you describe the flue system from stove to chimney cap? How tall is the chimney from the stove entrance to the top?

The issue sounds like the short vertical stub before going horizontal
Also the 8" chimney isn't helping matters any either

Don't do that. Shortening the baffle will not help. With cooler weather this should get better. If more draft is needed address it with the flue. The issue sounds like the short vertical stub before going horizontal. Ideally you want at least 18" and preferably 36" before going horizontal. How long is the horizontal run and is it pitched up toward the chimney at least 1?4" per foot?

Can you describe the flue system from stove to chimney cap? How tall is the chimney from the stove entrance to the top?
The pipe comes out of top of stove 6" and goes up to 8" right away. Vertical for 3 feet then horizontal for 2 feet. Through the wall then up 20 feet to cap.
All the same as my old stove except this stove is 6" and old one was 8". Old one drew good but had a smaller baffle.

The pipe comes out of top of stove 6" and goes up to 8" right away. Vertical for 3 feet then horizontal for 2 feet. Through the wall then up 20 feet to cap.
All the same as my old stove except this stove is 6" and old one was 8". Old one drew good but had a smaller baffle.
I would say the main problem is probably the 6" stove on the 8" chimney

OK, I suspect the old stove was a pre-EPA stove. These breathed easily. Modern stoves need stronger draft to pull air through the secondary manifold. What Flame stove model is this?

The first problem is switching to 8" pipe at the stove. It should be 6" at least to the chimney, but preferably all the way up to the top of the chimney. Is this a tile lined chimney? What is the ID of the chimney?

OK, I suspect the old stove was a pre-EPA stove. These breathed easily. Modern stoves need stronger draft to pull air through the secondary manifold. What Flame stove model is this?

The first problem is switching to 8" pipe at the stove. It should be 6" at least to the chimney, but preferably all the way up to the top of the chimney. Is this a tile lined chimney? What is the ID of the chimney?
XTD 1.9 Mod. FLO45W. The Chimney is S/S 8" I.D.

I would start by changing out the connector pipe to 6" and adapt up to 8" at the chimney. See how that works.

Tonight is going to be colder with overnight lows close to 40F. That will also help your draft.

Keep us posted. Love some pics of Port Hardy too. I hope to get up there sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.