Can anyone recommend good single burn rate stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Ackerly

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
A friend wants a stove to heat a screened in porch and wants a nice flame, but he doesn't need it to stay warm when he is not there. I've been curious how many brands are putting out single burn rate stoves and hope that the EPA will start to designate which ones they are on their list. Thanks.

There's not a lot of info on single rate stoves here since they are generally more cheaply made (questionable safety in regards to over fire potential)
I'd hate to do this to anyone, but check out US Stove - Tractor supply, I think they have a few choices there.

We've had these for many generations. Have your friend build a fireplace.

Vermont castings has "improved" some of their 2020 stuff by going to single burn rate instead of actually doing the work to do a proper redesign.

I think the Stuv products are single burn rate and well reviewed.

There's not a lot of info on single rate stoves here since they are generally more cheaply made (questionable safety in regards to over fire potential)
I'd say my single burn rate stove is safer to operate, at least to me. The over fire stories I heard around here are mostly caused by operating errors. A single burn rate stove has pretty much eliminated human inputs so there is no much room for errors. The only thing you can change is the wood, and I've tryied all kinds of wood: Soft wood burns hot but does not last as long hardwood last longer but does not burn as hot, so either way it will not over fire. If you fill the stove with finely splitted kilin dried hardwood kindling then it probably will but that's suicide.

For a screened in porch that is only going to be heated a few hours a day though, a vent free gas stove is both cheaper and simpler to operate. You can install a shut-off timer on the gas line for extra safety.

Reactions: John Ackerly
I'd hate to do this to anyone, but check out US Stove - Tractor supply, I think they have a few choices there.
No thanks:). I hope this class of stove can recover from its legacy of avoiding EPA certification by running tons of air through very cheaply made stoves.

Reactions: bholler
I think the Stuv products are single burn rate and well reviewed.
Makes sense since a lot of the European market just wants stoves for atmosphere. Thanks, I'll check those out and recommend them. Suspect they are nice looking and a bit overpriced.

There are quite expensive single rate stoves on the market too with the 2020 regs. The above mentioned Stuv is one that comes to mind.

Makes sense since a lot of the European market just wants stoves for atmosphere. Thanks, I'll check those out and recommend them. Suspect they are nice looking and a bit overpriced.
The MF Fire Nova is a single-rate burn stove and likely less expensive than a Stuv.

HHT has some new inserts on the market that have no user air control other than the start-up air timer. The Quad Expedition II and Vermont Castings Montpelier II line have this feature.

HHT has some new inserts on the market that have no user air control other than the start-up air timer. The Quad Expedition II and Vermont Castings Montpelier II line have this feature.
HHT/VC also has a Aspen C3 stove that is single burn rate. It has a tiny firebox of 1.25 cube ft but with a burn rate at up to 10 hours. I have no idea how that is achieved. It is listed at $1,249 on the website which is cheaper than other small stoves.