Can anyone identify this insect?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
We've had these guys all over the house, inside and out, for the last year. They seem to come in with firewood. So far they seem harmless, but I can't figure out what they are. For some sense of scale (admittedly, not a very good sense), it's sitting on standard moulding above an interior door. Probably 3/4" long, and they can fly.

Attachments

• Can anyone identify this insect?
    bug2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 604
stink bug is what I've called them since I was a kid

Google Images seems to agree. (They don't actually seem to stink though.) Thanks.

DiscoInferno said:
Google Images seems to agree. (They don't actually seem to stink though.) Thanks.

Mash one and it will I betcha.

Im glad someone asked what those things are! We have been living in the same area for 5 years now, and I have never see one till this fall. There are quite a few of them in my yard this year. The are always trying to get in the house and do a good job of it. The seem to be able to get through the smallest of spaces and are very determined. I wonder why so many this year. I wonder if it has something to do with the warmer winters we have been getting.

About a month ago my porch jalousie windows were speckled
with about 25 of those little suckers. There were also
about 15 of em stuck to the outside of my garage door.
Some of them were on the large size too but they seemed
harmless so I didn't bother them.

Mo Heat said:
Looks like this little devil: Brochymena (Predatory Stink Bug).

Find him down the page a bit here: http://www.whatsthatbug.com/stink.html

Yup, That's it. I sent one to Cornell a few years ago and got a nice letter back with lots of info on it. they're harmless, and just looking for a warm spot. But they doo stink

wahoowad said:
stink bug is what I've called them since I was a kid

Thats what we call them.

No, it's not a standard stink bug. That's the Intacluatis Capricinotgonus. It is a very dangerous bug. Carries lots of diesease and will infest and take over you home. You need to call a pest control company to come over and tent your entire home. You'll need another place to live for a week. Sorry to be the harbinger of such bad news.

By the way, they are particularly attracted to the smell of wood stoves burning manure! :)

-Kevin

definetily stink bugs. Had them for years. Squish one and the odor will come out very strong. Reminds me of amonia. Don't know aboutthe danger factor mentioned above. Do know that they don't die easy. Have already had to swat them several times till they didn't "come back to life"

LOL

wrenchmonster said:
Gosh guys, I was just kidding around. No one wants to play?

Yes, indeed it is a standard run of the mill stink bug. I made all that other stuff up.

-Kevin

So does that mean I can move they family back into the house? It was awfully cramped out in the car...

;-P

I tend to "relocate" bugs, rather than squish them, so I hadn't run into the stink. Best I can tell they don't actually have much to do with the firewood after all; must be a cyclic thing since I don't think I'd ever seen one before a year ago.

I've found from experience, they will seem to go away as the cold weather comes... only to find them return once the warm heat is started, coal or wood fire. Apparently they tend to hibernate and get reactivated with the warmth in the home. They seem to get everywhere.
They are almost as much of a nuissance as Boxelder bugs. More so if you count the odorifeerous fragrance about their bodies.
Good one with the "dangerous" warning ;)

I think they are also a cyclical thing, as I've seen them moving into buildings w/o wood heat as well. AFAIK they are relatively harmless - they don't eat the stuff in your house, and they don't bite people. They also don't stink if left alone, however they are the insect world's version of a skunk - they will put out noxious smelly stuff if threatened, with the intent of discouraging predators.

Not a big worry, just a nusiance.

I have them in the garden in the summer.. harmless..

As a precaution against all bugs, I use spectracide indoor/outdoor spray on the perimeter of my house, at doorways, and on the concrete foundation where the siding starts..
Also use Ortho-Max season long control in the front yard, and Bayer advanced in the backyard because of the garden- safer for veggies and plants

hope this helps

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.