Can a Flue Temp Probe Be Installed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brazilbl

Burning Hunk
Aug 24, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Reading a series of threads where a flue pipe temperature probe is recommended. Have Regency H2100M installed on my hearth and the exhaust pipe runs up behind the unit up the chimney. The unit was installed (by a trained professional in the field) in a former zero-clearance fireplace system (Majestic) where my hearth heater can be placed in front on the hearth backing up to where the chain maul/glass doors used to be and the exhaust pipe is run out the back. Everything is hidden behind the metal panels that surround the back of the wood stove.

I still have access to the old damper lever that doesn't do anything since they cut out the damper when installing the pipe from the wood stove up the flue. The flue damper lever is approximately 10-15 inches above the stove and might be a place where a "trained professional" could access the pipe via that opening to install a flue pipe temperature gauge.

I currently monitor temps by an infrared thermometer (which is really helpful for measuring STT's and temps around the wood stove), but having a flue pipe thermometer might be a handy item in monitoring things.

Is this possible? If so, are there more elegant solutions?

PS: Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry on "Negative Draft". It *does* appear that the dryer was the culprit. Will be making sure dryer is off when I start a fire from dead coals.

Reading a series of threads where a flue pipe temperature probe is recommended. Have Regency H2100M installed on my hearth and the exhaust pipe runs up behind the unit up the chimney. The unit was installed (by a trained professional in the field) in a former zero-clearance fireplace system (Majestic) where my hearth heater can be placed in front on the hearth backing up to where the chain maul/glass doors used to be and the exhaust pipe is run out the back. Everything is hidden behind the metal panels that surround the back of the wood stove.

I still have access to the old damper lever that doesn't do anything since they cut out the damper when installing the pipe from the wood stove up the flue. The flue damper lever is approximately 10-15 inches above the stove and might be a place where a "trained professional" could access the pipe via that opening to install a flue pipe temperature gauge.

I currently monitor temps by an infrared thermometer (which is really helpful for measuring STT's and temps around the wood stove), but having a flue pipe thermometer might be a handy item in monitoring things.

Is this possible? If so, are there more elegant solutions?

PS: Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry on "Negative Draft". It *does* appear that the dryer was the culprit. Will be making sure dryer is off when I start a fire from dead coals.
You could just get an auber instruments remote thermometer and run the wire behind the stove and attach the sensor to the pipe.

Also they didn't obsruct the vents for the zero clearance unit did they?

Bholler -

That's a great solution! Gives me flexibility in mounting the sensor and display. I'll look at "remote thermometer" for Auber products.

The vests are indeed unblocked. I think I read from you somewhere that ZC vents should not be blocked.

Reactions: bholler